Recently diagnosed.

5 years 2 months ago #56844 by Poptime
Replied by Poptime on topic Recently diagnosed.
Thanks all, somehow it does help to know others are going though the same thing. But wish you weren't.

I do think I will ask urologist for help with anxiety. Yes, I can man up and just do it, but if it could be a bit easier, why not?

Also might give meditation a try.

Dx Jan, 2019; high grade PUC, noninvasive.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

5 years 2 months ago #56843 by iXanadu
Replied by iXanadu on topic Recently diagnosed.
Jjbrown,

I think I would if I were you. Start with a robust internet study. You can find information on various reputable cancer sites - and lots of additional info on dietary sites. I suspect there is lots of misinformation out there - so be super critical anywhere you find info. Most dieticians still adhere to the FDA food chart which I’m convinced is responsible for the rise in diabetes and obesity in the nation. Whether or not the heavy intake of starches and sugars actually feed cancer is something I’m still researching.

I learned in the preop work up that my blood glucose level is a couple points away from being labeled pre-diabetic, and slightly elevated blood pressure. So while I’m focused on health and longevity - I’m including diet to fight all three symptoms. I’m reasonably set on a ketogenic diet for sugar, weight and blood pressure - still researching its effects on cancer.

Once I am a little more informed, I’ll ask for a referral to a dietician that is not overly conditioned by traditional fda diet guidelines

1/1/2019 Happy New Year: What is that red tint in the toilet
1/2/2019 Primary DR - might be first signs of BC
1/9/2019 CT Scan, Urine Culture, PSA test - ALL CLEAR
1/13/2019 Cystoscopy show what looks like Papillary
2/1/2019 TURBT
2/5/2019 Clots and blood clog urethra go to ER
2/7/2019 DX: HG...
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jjbrown

5 years 2 months ago #56841 by Jjbrown
Replied by Jjbrown on topic Recently diagnosed.
I Xanadu
I was wondering about diet Also? Should I see a nutritionist in regards to this?
Thanks for the input!

5 years 2 months ago #56839 by iXanadu
Replied by iXanadu on topic Recently diagnosed.
Poptime,

I am sorry about your recent diagnosis and experience . I am in the earliest stages of walking this out as well. I was/am oddly calm about the long term treatment plans and longevity prospects. But I still have a fair amount on anxiety over all the procedures that take place in urethra . I had convinced myself that I would consume a Cannabis edible or bowel prior to any non hospital visit if I knew they were going up there. I just returned home from spending a week in the hospital having my bladder continuously irrigated. This is done via a very large catheter that contains three tubes, one to pump fluids in, one to drain fluids out, and one ti inflate/deflate the retaining balloon. This was placed after a shot of morphine which didn’t seem to help at all. I am still very sensitive there. So my anxiety remains pretty high. My plan is to self medicate as mentioned above if I can pull it off. I’m not real experienced with pharmaceuticals - but if you are, and think a Xanax will calm you down iwould pursue it.

Good luck, get a plan in place with goals, then work the plan. Don’t ignore diets role in this - lots of dietary things can promote or retard cancer cells. I just hit Ketosis and am bringing my blood glucose and sugar level way down to attempt to starve the cancer. I let the docs do their bit with poison and scalpel while I work on diet and a positive outlook.

1/1/2019 Happy New Year: What is that red tint in the toilet
1/2/2019 Primary DR - might be first signs of BC
1/9/2019 CT Scan, Urine Culture, PSA test - ALL CLEAR
1/13/2019 Cystoscopy show what looks like Papillary
2/1/2019 TURBT
2/5/2019 Clots and blood clog urethra go to ER
2/7/2019 DX: HG...
The following user(s) said Thank You: Poptime

5 years 2 months ago #56838 by Jjbrown
Replied by Jjbrown on topic Recently diagnosed.
I think if you are that nervous about them, discuss this with your urologist. I'm sure you wouldn't be the first. I am also a bit nervous. Not sure if it's the actual procedure or what the doctor will tell you afterwards? In my opinion, it's all uncomfortable. I am new to all of this still, diagnosed 1/29 so I am trying to just get my head in a place of acceptance that all these scans and scopes will now be part of my life. A new normal. We have to get used to this. If you feel you need something to help get you through them, just ask. Maybe your primary could help with this also.
Good luck!

5 years 2 months ago #56837 by Alan
Replied by Alan on topic Recently diagnosed.
Almost all of us either dread or shrink at the thought of another scope. It is normal. In the past 11 years I have probably had 20 of these "lovelies"! All I can respond to is my experience. First, while no fun it is more "uncomfortable" than painful for the 15-20 seconds passing through the prostate. The total exam lasts what 3-5 minutes? So, I simply play a mind game and try and drift elsewhere, anywhere. Even curling my toes. As an anniversary comes up I just won't let my mind think of it. I will shift gears to another subject. Any soreness after or voiding is usually gone after a few hours.

Yes, there are meds if needed. Hope this helps as I realize everyone is different and handles things as individuals.

DX 5/6/2008 TAG3 papillary tumor .5 CM in size. 2 TURBS followed by 6 instillations of BCG weekly with a second round of 6 after a 6 week wait.

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne