Mitomycin C side effects?

5 years 2 days ago #57160 by Alan
Replied by Alan on topic Mitomycin C side effects?
Sweetpea,

As I understand as well as other posting mitomycin is a possibility for many. Also, BCG with interfuron is used with some success.

DX 5/6/2008 TAG3 papillary tumor .5 CM in size. 2 TURBS followed by 6 instillations of BCG weekly with a second round of 6 after a 6 week wait.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

5 years 2 days ago #57159 by JDRVNJ
Replied by JDRVNJ on topic Mitomycin C side effects?
Sweetpea1,

In my experience the Mitomycin side effects are very tolerable. I have had no real discomfort at all, just felt a little tired but nothing too bad.

I know everyone is different but all in all I could not ask for a better experience so far.

Please feel free to ask me about any concerns you have.

DX 12/2018 NMIBC T0a both High AND Low grade
TURBT 1/2/19 and 1/29/19
MMC begins 2/22/19

5 years 2 days ago #57158 by sweetpea1
Replied by sweetpea1 on topic Mitomycin C side effects?
HI Sara BCG did not work]

5 years 2 days ago #57157 by sweetpea1
Replied by sweetpea1 on topic Mitomycin C side effects?
HI I Hah 4 turb done for low grade cancer also had 6 treatments of BCG but cancer returned now my DR
wants me to start mitomycin 6 treatments i worry about side effects people say treatments are tuff

5 years 2 days ago #57156 by JDRVNJ
Replied by JDRVNJ on topic Mitomycin C side effects?
Hello friends!

I thought I would post an update.

I'd had a stent put in my kidney during my 2nd TURBT, and my Dr. removed it (Thank goodness!) a week before my first scheduled infusion.

I have completed 3 MMC treatments so far, and am feeling good.

From what I have read here, the procedure seems almost identical to BCG. I don't think I will ever get used to catheter insertion, but it in the whole scheme of things I guess it could be worse.

I take sodium bicarbonate pills the night before, as soon as I wake, and 30 mins. before infusion (to alter the PH in my body to best suit MMC concentration.) I try not to drink too much before I go to bed the night before, and avoid drinking anything for about an hour after treatment.

The prep the nurse has to do to set up takes about 15 mins, and the actual insertion takes less than 5 mins.

I go home immediately after, and have not had trouble holding my bladder for the 2 hours afterwards.
I only use one toilet in my house for most of the day and carefully follow the bleach/cleaning protocol for the rest of the day. I may be overly cautious, but it can't hurt.

I was able to schedule my treatments for Friday morning figuring I'd have time to recover by Monday.
The only side effects I have had are lack of appetite on Friday, (I wouldn't call it nausea) and some fatigue. I did feel noticeably less energy this weekend than the previous two, but nothing drastic, and I feel pretty much myself by Sunday.

All in all I feel very good so far and look forward to putting this all behind me.

As always I am happy to answer any questions you may have about my experiences so far.

All the best,

DX 12/2018 NMIBC T0a both High AND Low grade
TURBT 1/2/19 and 1/29/19
MMC begins 2/22/19

5 years 1 month ago #56891 by Alan
Replied by Alan on topic Mitomycin C side effects?
I know a good many posters have had good success with MMC. As you posted your URO appears to be well versed and as mentioned BCG can still be administered at a later date if need be. WE all have to trust someone on our care team!

DX 5/6/2008 TAG3 papillary tumor .5 CM in size. 2 TURBS followed by 6 instillations of BCG weekly with a second round of 6 after a 6 week wait.
The following user(s) said Thank You: JDRVNJ

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne