BCG shortage

5 years 1 month ago #56694 by sara.anne
Replied by sara.anne on topic BCG shortage
BCG is not usually given in the case of low grade non-invasive bladder cancer since it is not as effective as it is when the cancer is high grade. Use of BCG is usually reserved in low grade cases in case it returns....as it often does. I would ask your urologist if he really thinks it is necessary right now in view of the shortages.

Mitomycin is not as effective as BCG.

Sara Anne

Diagnosis 2-08 Small papillary TCC; CIS
BCG; BCG maintenance
Vice-President, American Bladder Cancer Society
Forum Moderator

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

5 years 1 month ago #56693 by Sheisdor7
Replied by Sheisdor7 on topic BCG shortage
I was recently diagnosed with Ta bladder cancer, low grade. I was scheduled for my first BCG treatment two weeks from today, but was just informed that there is no BCG available with my urologist. He suggested we wait a few weeks to see if he gets some in. He did indicate we could start Mitomycin instead of BCG. My question is how long can I effectively wait for BCG or should I start with the Mitomycin treatments? I know the BCG is preferred. Any help you can give me would lower my anxiety.

5 years 1 month ago #56692 by sara.anne
Replied by sara.anne on topic BCG shortage
Yes, George, Merck has notified all their clients that there is now a shortage of BCG and that it may extend as long as October. Unfortunately, they are the only suppliers of this product and since it is a biological entity it is not trivial to manufacture.

Our understanding is that Merck is allotting their supplies somehow based on past purchases. You should ask your urologist to get you on a waiting list so that you can get some as soon as it becomes available.

Sara Anne

Diagnosis 2-08 Small papillary TCC; CIS
BCG; BCG maintenance
Vice-President, American Bladder Cancer Society
Forum Moderator
The following user(s) said Thank You: George9

5 years 1 month ago #56691 by George9
BCG shortage was created by George9
Just got a call from my doctor to tell me that my BCG/Interferon treatment can't be done tomorrow because of a BCG shortage. Has any of you been affected, and/or what to do now?

Thanks,

George

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne