Radiation treatment

5 years 2 months ago #56655 by Cynthia
Replied by Cynthia on topic Radiation treatment
Skip, I am not a doctor of any kind let alone a urology. And there is no way for us to know your personal situation. But...... your post left me confused and or concerned. Radiation is rarely used in bladder cancer and only then if invasive in specific situations. As Allan said it can cause damage to cells and complicate things if you would later need a cystectomy. I would highly suggest that you seek a second opinion university hospitals are often good places to look. Please keep us updated.

Cynthia Kinsella
T2 g3 CIS 8/04
Clinical Trial
Chemotherapy & Radiation 10/04-12/04
Chemotherapy 3/05-5/05
BCG 9/05-1-06
RC w/umbilical Indiana pouch 5/06
Left Nephrectomy 1/09
President American Bladder Cancer Society

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

5 years 2 months ago #56654 by sara.anne
Replied by sara.anne on topic Radiation treatment
Hello, Skip....
Do you have a copy of your most recent pathology report? I wonder if the diagnosis from your most recent biopsy might be CIS (carcinoma in situ) which shows up as a rash on the bladder lining rather than as a tumor? The absolute best treatment for this is BCG. Radiation is not usually the treatment of choice for bladder cancer since, as Alan mentioned, the resulting damage to the bladder can make any additional treatments or surgery difficult.

We have heard that once again we are facing shortages of BCG and, unfortunately there is only one supplier for it. I would suggest that you seek a consultation with another urologist in a medical school or a large urban center before considering radiation.

Sara Anne

Diagnosis 2-08 Small papillary TCC; CIS
BCG; BCG maintenance
Vice-President, American Bladder Cancer Society
Forum Moderator

5 years 2 months ago #56652 by Skipinmexico
Replied by Skipinmexico on topic Radiation treatment
Thank you for your reply Alan. Yes, I live in Mexico and was told BCG was not available. My first turbt removed 3 tumors. My second turbt was last September and one tumor was removed. Last week I had a cystoscopy and no tumors were found but 4 biopsies were taken. One came back positive. Now my urologist has recommended radiation.

5 years 2 months ago - 5 years 2 months ago #56651 by Alan
Replied by Alan on topic Radiation treatment
Skipinmexico,

Welcome. I presume you are in Mexico? A couple of questions. Is BCG available, as that has been proven for the majority to be a better agent to eradicate tumors. Also you wrote: "Last week I had another cystoscopy under anesthesia. There were no tumors found, however, one of four biopsies taken just came back positive. My urologist now wants me to start radiation treatment." That confuses me. If no tumors were found why any treatment, radiation or mytomycin? Plus, radiation is only used in unusual situations as if you need a cystectomy it often harms tissues needed in that surgery. Are you able to get a second opinion? On the remote possibility you are able to travel...and I have no idea about insurance coverage...MD Anderson in Houston is considered one of the top hospitals in the world for bladder cancer.

DX 5/6/2008 TAG3 papillary tumor .5 CM in size. 2 TURBS followed by 6 instillations of BCG weekly with a second round of 6 after a 6 week wait.

5 years 2 months ago #56650 by Skipinmexico
Radiation treatment was created by Skipinmexico
Hi,
I am new to the forum. I was diagnosed with non muscle invasive bladder cancer 16 months ago. The TURBT removed 3 tumors. I then had 6 weekly mitomycin treatments followed by one per month for 12 months. Last September another tumor was discovered during a cystoscopy and it was removed with a second TURBT. Last week I had another cystoscopy under anesthesia. There were no tumors found, however, one of four biopsies taken just came back positive. My urologist now wants me to start radiation treatment. My initial appointment is In two days. Can anybody offer me any advice?

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne