High White Blood Cell Count & ?'s

5 years 4 months ago #56416 by Jack R
Replied by Jack R on topic High White Blood Cell Count & ?'s
Mountaineer,

In answer to your last question - the return to normal following a BCG series of six - there is a wide variation in timing. some of the lucky guys seem to over and done as if nothing had happened.

Your experience sounds closer to us on the other end of the spectrum. For us, there is minimum rebound between BCG treatments; the blood has stopped, the burn remains, and we want to know where the nearest bathroom will be in the next 30 to 60 minutes. Depends or a store brand Adult Security product provides a sense of control during this period for us.

After the series of six, it can take a couple of week to a month or so for the burn to go away. Urgency can take long to resolve, much depends on how much (maximum comfortable) bladder capacity has been reduced during treatment. It takes me a month to get back to half prior bladder capacity, and 2 to 3 months to fully recover capacity. This can lead to frequent urgency, and the need to plan travel around the pit stops. The usefulness of Depends is greatly reduced during this time, as the volume has increased. An external catheter and leg bag are options if mobility is required and incontinence or timing are issues.

I assume you have been prescribed pyridium or told to use over the counter AZO - all the same urinary pain relief tablet, non-narcotic, just works on the urinary tract. It helps some.

Keep your care team involved with ANYTHING that is bothering you. There are lots that can be done, but only if they know you have an issue with side effects of treatment. Hopefully, your symptoms clear up quickly and all will be well. However, don't be discouraged if it take a while longer. Keep your eye on the prize - beating this cancer.

Best,
Jack

6/2015 HG Papillary & CIS
3 Years and 30 BCG/BCG+Inf
Tis CIS comes back.
BC clear as of 5/17 !
RCC found in my one & only kidney 10/17
Begin Chemo; Cisplatin and Gemzar
8/18 begin Chemo# 3
Begin year 4 with cis
2/19 Chemo #4
9/19 NED again :)
1/2020 CIS is back
Tried Keytruda, stopped by side effects
Workin on a new plan for 2021
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mountaineer

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

5 years 4 months ago - 5 years 4 months ago #56415 by Alan
Replied by Alan on topic High White Blood Cell Count & ?'s
The white blood cells normally an indication of an infections as you say. I would still want to pursue that and as I know very little about Lyme I wonder if these is a connection. On to your last question.

Every one will react differently to BCG. My experience and it seems to apply to the majority posting here the affects are cumulative. I remember the burning, stinging and urgency really came on about the 4th treatment. By the 9th and 10th they lasted 2 days. At the final of 12 it took from what I remember a full week to be rid of most of the symptoms. The fatigue and all clear were at least 4 weeks. People I worked with as a salesman said they thought I looked bad for a couple of months once they realized I was going to live and move on and they leveled with me. It was the fatigue I think that was telltale sign. The only caution I give if the symptoms become too unbearable and only you can define this as it is subjective, you can cut the strength to 1/2, 1/3 even 1/10. The symptoms we're are talking about are normal and are an indication of it working.

DX 5/6/2008 TAG3 papillary tumor .5 CM in size. 2 TURBS followed by 6 instillations of BCG weekly with a second round of 6 after a 6 week wait.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mountaineer

5 years 4 months ago #56412 by Mountaineer
High White Blood Cell Count & ?'s was created by Mountaineer
In April of this year, I began to urinate blood. Only lasted a day. Happened one time again in May and in June. Since I was diagnosed with Lyme's in 2016, I googled and found that some male patients display this malady. Along with the Lyme's, came eye problems in which one eye will cross inward. By closing the dominant eye, it realigned. Oddly, then the other eye crosses inward. I am going to John Hopkins this week for that. Anyone out there have both Lyme's and bladder cancer simultaneously?

While seeing an ophthalmologist, he asked if I had any other health issues and when I shared that I was peeing red, I was in an urologist office weeks later having the worst awake event a man get dread, a cystoscopy - referred to as a painless camera procedure on google search I would like to know what man has thought so! Skipping all the details which included the biggest stiff catheter affectionally called the "irrigater," it was determined I has high grade bladder cancer confined. I have never smoked, have always avoided second hand smoke and have no chemical vocation. I just finished my 6th bcg' treatment. I have been given 2 months off for recovery.

Twice I missed my bcg treatments due to high white blood cells in my urine - too many to count - said the doctor, but no infection was found. Is bcg the reason?
Also, I never seem to return to normal urination after each catheterization.
Does the burning, stinging, and sudden need to pee diminish over weeks, months?

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne