Urovysion test. Need some help.

5 years 4 months ago #56439 by Alan
Replied by Alan on topic Urovysion test. Need some help.
Katie1357,

At the risk of adding too much information my URO won't even do the FISH because of so many false positives he has seen. The most import diagnostic tools remain as cystoscopy, CT scan and cytology.

Have they suggested a retropyelogram? That checks further up into the kidneys? Or, does a second opinion make sense as fresh eyes? At the same time I know of people that they never discover a reason for hematuria. I know this may not quell your anxiety but, wanted to let you know you are not alone with other people and similar symptoms.

DX 5/6/2008 TAG3 papillary tumor .5 CM in size. 2 TURBS followed by 6 instillations of BCG weekly with a second round of 6 after a 6 week wait.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

5 years 4 months ago #56438 by sara.anne
Replied by sara.anne on topic Urovysion test. Need some help.
Totally understand your anxiety. Since the other cytology tests show abnormal cells it’s possible that this one will too even if there is no cancer present What does your urologist say about this ?

Diagnosis 2-08 Small papillary TCC; CIS
BCG; BCG maintenance
Vice-President, American Bladder Cancer Society
Forum Moderator

5 years 4 months ago #56437 by Katie1357
Replied by Katie1357 on topic Urovysion test. Need some help.
Hi, Thank you, Sara Anne for answering. Yes, I had a CT-scan and MRI scan. All normal.
But I always have blood in my urine, sometimes very clearly. And my cytology is positive for atypical cells. I am still waiting for the results of the FISH test.

5 years 4 months ago #56364 by sara.anne
Replied by sara.anne on topic Urovysion test. Need some help.
I believe that the test you are referring to, Urovysion, is also known as a FISH test. You could use the Search function at the top right of this page and search for FISH since there have been many posts from people who have had it.
The main problem with this test, as well as other urine cytology tests, is that they are very sensitive. This means that they often give positive results when there is no cancer present. Abnormal results can result from something such as a mild inflammation somewhere. These tests cannot diagnose cancer, but only indicate that there is something not quite normal. It may be harmless.and not cancer. It just indicates that you need to be checked and your urologist is doing that. Have you had a CT scan?

Difficult to deal with, I know.

Sara Anne

Diagnosis 2-08 Small papillary TCC; CIS
BCG; BCG maintenance
Vice-President, American Bladder Cancer Society
Forum Moderator

5 years 4 months ago - 5 years 4 months ago #56359 by Katie1357
Urovysion test. Need some help. was created by Katie1357
I have had suspicious cytology tests for over 2 years now. The findings always state " highly suggestive for urothelial carcinoma".
Still they can't find any tumor in bladder or kidneys. They did a blue light cystoscopy but it did not show anything suspicious. Today they ordered a Urovysion test? Anyone familiar with this test?
I am so scared that if they can't find the tumor it still can move further.

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne