Indiana or ideal conduit?Need fast feedback!

5 years 6 months ago #55993 by Alan
From what I understand each has its pros and cons. Have you asked how many % of each the surgeon does? maybe he has real expertise in just one? I am sure your Mom's age is a consideration. I have yet another friend at age about 65 opted for the illeal conduit. Both friends are happy with each of their decisions.

DX 5/6/2008 TAG3 papillary tumor .5 CM in size. 2 TURBS followed by 6 instillations of BCG weekly with a second round of 6 after a 6 week wait.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

5 years 6 months ago #55991 by Anne1989
Replied by Anne1989 on topic Indiana or ideal conduit?Need fast feedback!
I was just surprised that my mother's surgeon (supposed to be innovative) at Memorial Sloan Kettering, said he usually does conduit or neo only stating indiana have more infections. I'm so confused

5 years 6 months ago #55989 by Alan
Either surgery is rough. No way around it. He was back playing golf 6 months later.

DX 5/6/2008 TAG3 papillary tumor .5 CM in size. 2 TURBS followed by 6 instillations of BCG weekly with a second round of 6 after a 6 week wait.

5 years 6 months ago #55986 by Anne1989
Replied by Anne1989 on topic Indiana or ideal conduit?Need fast feedback!
Wow Alan! 81!? That's great to hear it was done at 81. Has he or she had many infections, issues or complications?

5 years 6 months ago - 5 years 6 months ago #55984 by Alan
Anne,

I have not had to have a cystectomy. However, many of us have bookmarked a great site for the pros and cons of each diversion here: my.clevelandclinic.org/health/treatments/12546-urinary-reconstruction--diversion.

Also, a friend of mine just had an Indiana done at age 81, so it can be done. Many have remarked that no matter which diversion they choose, they have adapted and were happy with their decision.

5 years 6 months ago #55981 by Anne1989
Hello,
After researching and reading alot here, I asked my mother's doctor who is performing RC on 10.24 if she would be a Candidate for indiana. She is 77 muscle invasive stage 2, no chemo or radiation required as of now. She is also having an unknown tumor removed in abdominal at same time. Doctor who is at MSK said she is really too old and he doendt really prefer them saying therr is a higher rate of infection afterwards from cathing etc.he said he usually restricts this to patients 50s or 60s. However, he said he does them in the elderly who are highly motivated. He is sending my mom for colonoscopy and said we can think about it that it's basically our call since he does recommend other diversion. ANY FEEDBACK IS MUCH APPRECIATED! would love to hear from someone who had this past 75 years old!

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne