Has anyone experienced hair loss with BCG treatments?

6 months 6 days ago #62004 by kwtrn1
I am referred to dermatology also for thinning hair.  I didn't have this problem until I started BCG, but I suppose you could attribute it to age.  My hairdresser does see some growth starting.  I just got it cut and I'm getting extensions while I wait for it to grow.
I am two years cancer free for non-muscle invasive urothelial CA.  BCG is now every 6 mos and at 1/2 dose.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

3 years 8 months ago #59631 by busaman
Did you have to wait long for your BCG? I was suppose to start 2 months ago and my Uro keeps telling me there is a shortage and they are tyring to find it for me. I am worried that my tumors are coming back after I had my resection.

3 years 8 months ago #59630 by sara.anne
My dermatologist has attributed mine to “age.” Not what I wanted, to hear, but she even did a biopsy of the scalp to look at the hair roots.

Sara Anne

Diagnosis 2-08 Small papillary TCC; CIS
BCG; BCG maintenance
Vice-President, American Bladder Cancer Society
Forum Moderator

3 years 8 months ago #59629 by Annabelle
I have been having BCG treatments for about 7 years now. I’ve had several recurrences but my side effects to the treatments are very minor and last only a couple of hours. Recently though, I have noticed that my hair is different in texture and is thinning in the front on one side. I had never heard of this as a result of BCG but my hairdresser suggested that might be the case. I see from the posts that others have found the same thing. My next treatments are 6 months away so I will see if there is a change in that period. Anyone else notice changes in their hair?

5 years 6 months ago #55923 by Cynthia
Cinderella, I can find no information linking hair loss to BCG but that does not mean it is not a rare one ask your medical care team. Having said that hair loss can be linked to stress not that this whole thing isn’t stressful right?

As for discontinuing the BCG there is some good news in that if you have a recurrence some have had good results from a reduced dose of as little as 1/10th. If you ever are in need talk to your medical team about it.

Let us know how you are doing.

Cynthia Kinsella
T2 g3 CIS 8/04
Clinical Trial
Chemotherapy & Radiation 10/04-12/04
Chemotherapy 3/05-5/05
BCG 9/05-1-06
RC w/umbilical Indiana pouch 5/06
Left Nephrectomy 1/09
President American Bladder Cancer Society

5 years 6 months ago #55906 by Cinderella88
Hi,
When I started my BCG treatments my hair started falling out. I had very thick hair and now I don’t. I was non muscle invasive BC. I was Ta Papalary High Grade tumor. I have been cancer free for a little over 2 years now. I did 11 treatments and stopped because of the side effects were to much to deal with for me.

You are the only person I heard of hair falling out. Thank you for posting.

Cinderella88

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne