BCG Treatment

5 years 10 months ago #55440 by Alan
Replied by Alan on topic BCG Treatment
Atlanta,

I am sorry to read about your unusual BCG experience. It is a reminder EVERY procedure that is invasive carries some risk. Here's hoping that is the end of it and that you are able to continue at some point!

DX 5/6/2008 TAG3 papillary tumor .5 CM in size. 2 TURBS followed by 6 instillations of BCG weekly with a second round of 6 after a 6 week wait.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

5 years 10 months ago #55437 by sara.anne
Replied by sara.anne on topic BCG Treatment
WOW! What a story! You are very fortunate that you got to the ER and that they were able to determine a diagnosis.

No, I haven't heard of this happening before (although it no doubt has.) I expect that the team at your urologist's office is having a remedial course in procedures for administering BCG. This is why I always end up drenched with Betadine prior to any catheter insertion.

BCG is such a benefit to so many of us with high grade bladder cancer; it is a real shame to hear something like this.
Hope you are feeling much better.

Sara Anne

PS Didn't need to move your post!!B)

Diagnosis 2-08 Small papillary TCC; CIS
BCG; BCG maintenance
Vice-President, American Bladder Cancer Society
Forum Moderator
The following user(s) said Thank You: Atlanta51

5 years 10 months ago #55435 by Atlanta51
BCG Treatment was created by Atlanta51
I had my first BCG treatment on Tuesday and everything went as well as I could expect. On Wednesday, developed uncontrollable shaking, chills, high heart rate, and fever of 103. Admitted to ER and spent three days in the hospital.

After extensive blood work, determined that E. Coli, naturally present in the intestinal track, was likely introduced into my blood stream via the catheter (broken vein, etc.). I am now receiving 14 consecutive daily antibiotic treatments by IV at the hospital infusion center. Further BCG treatments have been deferred short term.

With all of my reading on this site and others, I never read about anything similar. My assumption is that is is a rarity. Any shared experiences?

Sara, feel free to move my post as needed.

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne