Newly Diagnosed

5 years 9 months ago #55448 by bobbysgirl
Replied by bobbysgirl on topic Newly Diagnosed
I was recently told the same and have a consult scheduled for 7/17 at Duke University. Two tumors were removed from the bladder and it reached into the muscle. I have been told the recommended treatment is bladder removal and a neobladder created or having to use a bag. I pray the Doctors at the University to have some other options! I am doing as much as I can on my own right now, total life changes. Plant-based foods of the Gerson Meal Plans, supplements, oxygenated waters, essential Frankincense oils, low stress, positivity, etc. I'll repost after my visit and follow your topic stream. Pray for all.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

5 years 9 months ago #55442 by CatherineH
Replied by CatherineH on topic Newly Diagnosed
You are very welcome. Your research and getting ready for your appointment with a list of questions is a really good start. You have a great hospital and a great partner. You can feel confident that you are in very capable hands at Mass General and you and your fiancé will be a formidable team in fighting through this process. If you have questions from the patient’s side after you meet with your surgeon, please feel free to come back anytime.

Best wishes... Catherine

TURBT 1/21/10 at age 55
Dx: T2aN0M0 Primary Bladder Adenocarcinoma
Partial Cystectomy 2/25/10
Vanderbilt Medical Center
Nashville, TN

5 years 9 months ago #55441 by Tgreen617
Replied by Tgreen617 on topic Newly Diagnosed
Catherine, many many thanks for reaching back. I did do some research regarding the partial and I do understand that there is only a small number of folks that qualify for this type of situation. We are looking forward to meeting with the Surgeon at Mass General Hospital this week. Its a great hospital and we know we will have the best of care. As with any big surgery we are going to continue to educate ourselves and support one another. We are both (myself and my fiancé) people that will have each others back no matter what the circumstances are. Again, thank you Catherine!

5 years 9 months ago #55436 by CatherineH
Replied by CatherineH on topic Newly Diagnosed
Hello and welcome to the forum. I am so sorry about your recent diagnosis. I was also diagnosed at age 55.

I am one of the few people here who have had a partial cystectomy. Unfortunately I do not think given your diagnosis you are a candidate for that procedure. In my case, my tumor was a primary adenocarcinoma, a different type than your diagnosis. Although quite rare, it is generally the only tumor type considered for a partial procedure, and then only a subset of people meet the very strict criteria. This is due to it very likely being one single tumor less likely to recur in the bladder if caught early. My procedure was in Feb 2010.

Should you have a partial cystectomy, with the high-grade muscle invasive bc, it could recur in another area of your bladder. It is already invasive. Please discuss this with the surgeons when you meet with them. I'm sure they can explain your options better than I have here. You will be hearing from other members who are much more informed about the risks of high-grade bladder cancer than me.

Best wishes... Catherine

TURBT 1/21/10 at age 55
Dx: T2aN0M0 Primary Bladder Adenocarcinoma
Partial Cystectomy 2/25/10
Vanderbilt Medical Center
Nashville, TN

5 years 9 months ago #55434 by Tgreen617
Newly Diagnosed was created by Tgreen617
Good Morning- Newly diagnosed -- Urologist recommends cystectomy- We have appointments this coming week with 2 surgeons. I am curious though if anyone has had a partial Cystectomy. When we met with my urologist he asked the question. "if it were you, what would you do" and he said given your age 55 I would opt for the cystectomy because the cancer by the time treatment starts could have gone deeper. I would love to hear other peoples experience/feedback

I have attached my pathology findings
Attachments:

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne