Condom Catheters?

5 years 11 months ago #55140 by Care4Dad
Replied by Care4Dad on topic Condom Catheters?
Thank you Jack for the link. I appreciate it so much and will read it carefully.
And thank you for the advice about irritation and/or infection. I'll be sure Dad knows about it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

5 years 11 months ago #55139 by Jack R
Replied by Jack R on topic Condom Catheters?
Care4Dad,

Since uncircumcised use is something I am not familiar with, I did a google search and found a sellers instructions that seems to answer the questions; link below.

A phone call to either suppliers customer service line should result in answers any questions; Coloplast's was helpful for me. Always check with the doctor before making changes - a prescription is needed - and make sure that any sign of irritation or infection is seen by the doc immediately.

www.shieldhealthcare.com/community/urological/2012/04/16/getting-started-with-male-external-catheters/

Best,
Jack

6/2015 HG Papillary & CIS
3 Years and 30 BCG/BCG+Inf
Tis CIS comes back.
BC clear as of 5/17 !
RCC found in my one & only kidney 10/17
Begin Chemo; Cisplatin and Gemzar
8/18 begin Chemo# 3
Begin year 4 with cis
2/19 Chemo #4
9/19 NED again :)
1/2020 CIS is back
Tried Keytruda, stopped by side effects
Workin on a new plan for 2021

5 years 11 months ago #55137 by Care4Dad
Replied by Care4Dad on topic Condom Catheters?
Dear Jack:
Thank you for taking the time to write and give a recommendation.
My Father decided not to have treatments. I don't think the doctor was aware of the incontinence at the time of the diagnosis. My Father has been dealing with the incontinence on his own. I'm learning as I go along with the help of people like you who are willing to share their experiences. I checked the website for coloplast.us. Which external catheter do you prefer? From what my Father tells me, it sounds like he's having problems attaching them because he is uncircumcised and has a problem with retraction. Any information you can share is very much appreciated.
Thank you again for taking the time to write.

5 years 11 months ago #55133 by Jack R
Replied by Jack R on topic Condom Catheters?
Care4dad,

Hopefully the doctor or care team is able to help with the problem and provide sample of different solutions.

Coloplast makes a male external catheter that seals (at least for me) well and provides not leakage. Nights were the worst - rolling around would cause a "tubing failure, either kinking the tubing or disconnecting things somewhere. An adjustable bed, with the head raised, took care of rolling around and the tubing issues.

Always check with the care team before making changes, and to get insurance approval for supplies.

www.coloplast.us

Best,
Jack

6/2015 HG Papillary & CIS
3 Years and 30 BCG/BCG+Inf
Tis CIS comes back.
BC clear as of 5/17 !
RCC found in my one & only kidney 10/17
Begin Chemo; Cisplatin and Gemzar
8/18 begin Chemo# 3
Begin year 4 with cis
2/19 Chemo #4
9/19 NED again :)
1/2020 CIS is back
Tried Keytruda, stopped by side effects
Workin on a new plan for 2021

5 years 11 months ago #55097 by Care4Dad
Condom Catheters? was created by Care4Dad
After my Father had his TURBT procedure he became incontinent. He lives alone and 2,000 miles away. He is active and drives. He gets out of the house two or three times a day. Right now he is using pads and has to change them several times a day. It’s beginning to limit his activities. He has tried a few condom catheters but hasn’t had success. Is there a resource that discusses the different types of condom catheters and their use depending upon body shapes, sizes, and activity?

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne