Wait or go for 2nd opinion

6 years 2 days ago #55075 by sara.anne
Replied by sara.anne on topic Wait or go for 2nd opinion
There is a lot to be discovered on Google.....but even more to be discounted!! Can be of more harm than good in many cases.

Sorry, can't make any comment about the FISH test...any more than I have. It is just one of the many tests that go into a complete diagnosis.

Whatever you do, if you don't get a second opinion, be sure to keep that three-month appointment!!

Sara Anne

Diagnosis 2-08 Small papillary TCC; CIS
BCG; BCG maintenance
Vice-President, American Bladder Cancer Society
Forum Moderator

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

6 years 2 days ago #55074 by Alan
Replied by Alan on topic Wait or go for 2nd opinion
Tee,

There are simply too many variables and possibilities with bladder cancer. Another test given is a CT Scan with contrast dye that reads your torso. That would include the kidneys. There are MANY reasons fro bleeding besides cancer. Infections, stone nicking parts of the urinary tract. Long distance runner get bleeding sometimes. Sometimes a reason is NEVER found.

You still want to find out if possible and a second FISH is probably not the test. As Sara Anne said, a fresh set of eyes as a second opinion is often helpful. You want to be sure either your current URO is up to speed on bladder cancer or a second URO as so many see mostly prostatis cancers.

DX 5/6/2008 TAG3 papillary tumor .5 CM in size. 2 TURBS followed by 6 instillations of BCG weekly with a second round of 6 after a 6 week wait.

6 years 2 days ago #55072 by Tee
Replied by Tee on topic Wait or go for 2nd opinion
Well I happy to say I am 32 days smoke free without any crutch. If i understood my Dr the fish test was a 5 and 6 would be concerning however he did not see anything that needed to be biobsey . Can you tell me anything more about the 5 and 6 being concerning. I am thinking 2nd opinion or maybe repeat fish test. Thank you for chatting with me Google can be overwhelming.

6 years 2 days ago #55071 by sara.anne
Replied by sara.anne on topic Wait or go for 2nd opinion
Wow....can see why you might have some questions! Please remember that we are not doctors here and are not competent to give medical advice. So anything I say is sort of off the top of my head.

First, FISH tests are a very useful help in diagnosing bladder cancer, but do have some issues. One of these is that they often present false positives...meaning that they may indicate the presence of cancer when there isn't any.
Second, a cystoscopy is not a final test for the presence of bladder cancer. It is a very important first step and usually the urologist can see what look to be tumors but not always. There are some forms of bladder cancer that do not present as discrete tumors, It is necessary for him to do a TURB where the tumors are actually removed and sent for pathology before cancer can be diagnosed for sure. Third, there are many reasons for blood in the urine that are NOT bladder cancer.

Because of the uncertainties, your history of smoking (are you quitting?), and the slight ...although remote....genetic connection, you might feel better if you had a second opinion/consult.

Sara Anne

Diagnosis 2-08 Small papillary TCC; CIS
BCG; BCG maintenance
Vice-President, American Bladder Cancer Society
Forum Moderator

6 years 2 days ago #55069 by Tee
Wait or go for 2nd opinion was created by Tee
I have had blood in urine for past 6 months, trace, small, and now moderate. Had a positive fish test that came back a 5, had a cystoscopy done. Dr opinion was he didn't see anything and would recommend repeating fish test in 3 months, could something be missed this test was done awake and done in office. Could cancer be seen with a cystoscopy? I am 58 years old 40 year smoker and grandmother on fathers side died of bladder cancer.

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne