Urine Cytology Report

6 years 6 days ago - 6 years 6 days ago #54945 by sara.anne
Replied by sara.anne on topic Urine Cytology Report
that is great news Congratulations !

Diagnosis 2-08 Small papillary TCC; CIS
BCG; BCG maintenance
Vice-President, American Bladder Cancer Society
Forum Moderator

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

6 years 6 days ago #54944 by Sanders
Replied by Sanders on topic Urine Cytology Report
I wanted to thank the two people who responded to my post and anxiety (Sara and Alan). I did go to the urologist and finally had the cystoscopy and he said my bladder was normal. He also said my prostrate was enlarged but that happens as we age (his words) and neither were cancerous. His conclusion was/is I have multiple kidney stones in both kidneys and believes they are/were the cause of the blood in the urine. My last urine test in his office the same day as the cystoscopy was negative for blood. So, thank you both again for your concern and great responses.

6 years 2 weeks ago #54869 by Alan
Replied by Alan on topic Urine Cytology Report
I second everything Sara Anne mentioned plus Stanford has a great reputation in bladder cancer. That said and it easy for me to say now but. it is always one day at a time. Heck, we don't even know for sure if it is bladder cancer. It could be stones that have broken up etc so you simply will have to wait until you have the peek inside and a biopsy if warranted. Often, a CT scan is also done to read the torso to make sure nothing else is going on. Ask away as you have more questions.

DX 5/6/2008 TAG3 papillary tumor .5 CM in size. 2 TURBS followed by 6 instillations of BCG weekly with a second round of 6 after a 6 week wait.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sanders

6 years 2 weeks ago #54868 by sara.anne
You are in luck! Stanford University Medical School has one of the top urology departments in the country and would probably be my first choice. They have several faculty members with interest in bladder cancer.

Sara Anne

BCG; BCG maintenance
Forum Moderator

6 years 2 weeks ago #54867 by Sanders
Replied by Sanders on topic Urine Cytology Report
Thank you for your prompt response. This will be my first appointment with a urologist this afternoon. It took nearly a month to get the appointment. I doubt he will be doing the camera today since I have never seen him or been to them before this referral from my PCP.

We are in the bay area in California and wondering if you or anyone know of a good place to go for a second opinion after my appointment today. The place I am going to today is located in Concord and is called Pacific Urology. I do not know anything about them other than my PCP said to go there but they are all connected to the John Muir Hospital network and I have never been sent anywhere other than within that network of providers. I have Medicare with Plan F so I do not need to stay in network and would actually prefer going to another place as well just to see another urologist and get another opinion.

I know I am jumping ahead but I want to be ahead of this as much as possible and would like to know of other options and providers.

Thanks again for your response and patience with a "newbie" and the fears and anxiety that comes with being a "newbie".

6 years 2 weeks ago #54866 by sara.anne
Welcome! We have all been where you are today, so understand your feelings.

First: urine cytology is NOT exact and is notorious for "false positives" (indicating that cancer is present when
it isn't). It does give an indication that the situation needs to be looked at a little more closely, which is what you
are doing.

Second: assume you are having cystoscopy exam in the urologist's office this afternoon. He will be looking with a small (very small:laugh: ) camera. His experience will give him a good idea of what might be going on, but if he sees something that looks like a tumor or cancer he will need to do a biopsy to determine for sure. This would be done as an outpatient under general anesthesia and he would send samples of the bladder tissue to a pathologist for analysis.
ONLY AFTER THE PATH REPORT COMES BACK (and it can take up to a week or so) will the urologist and you know exactly what the diagnosis is. It could be low grade (slow growing), high grade (rapidly growing), non-invasive, or extending into the muscle. The treatment options depend of course on the diagnosis.

Most bladder cancer is found early and does not result in removal of the bladder. There is no point in stressing out about that when the odds are that it will not occur. Even if it does many here on the Forum lead very full lives without a bladder.....scuba diving, race car driving....

Please let us know what the urologist says...will be thinking of you!!

Sara Anne

BCG; BCG maintenance
Forum Moderator

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne