90 year old mom in law with metastatic bladder cancer had severe stroke

6 years 1 day ago #54975 by Sean T
I can only tell my own story. When I was diagnosed with Stage 1 and a big tumor, I asked my doctor how long I would have if left untreated. He said probably about 18 months. (I would be gone by now.) But, again, that was Stage 1. I can't say how long I would have had if my cancer had spread.

Peace to your mother and your family - and to you.

08/16/16 - TURBT - 1 tumor, T1HG, 7.5 cm x 7.5 cm x 1.8 cm, non-invasive papillary.
BCG treatments (15 doses total - last March, 2018). As of latest cysto, As of May 4, 2023 - cancer free!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

6 years 3 weeks ago #54840 by sara.anne
So sorry to hear about your mother-in-law. These are difficult decisions, and, of course, only your family has all the information to make them. I think you know what your MIL would choose. Hospice is a wonderful service and has helped many families through these times.

Wishing you all the best

Sara Anne

Diagnosis 2-08 Small papillary TCC; CIS
BCG; BCG maintenance
Vice-President, American Bladder Cancer Society
Forum Moderator

6 years 3 weeks ago #54839 by Beachlvr58
A month ago my 90 year old mother in law who was full of life had a severe stroke the day she was supposed to find out if her bladder cancer has spread to her liver, which it has. She is in a rehab and has only slightly improved from the stroke meaning she's a couple steps above a rag doll. This was a woman who went white water rafting, golfed, belonged to a bowling team, belonged to many groups and volunteered whenever she could. Her brain was so affected that she hardly eats, most of the PT and OT is done in her room at this point. She talks nonsense most of the time with a few minutes of coherent conversations. She is completely bedridden as well. It's difficult to know if the pain she has in her joints and her new "dementia" is from the stroke or perhaps the cancer is spreading to her brain. The rehab is terrible in keeping us informed. We want to bring her home with hospice services. Although to have her tested to see if the cancer is elsewhere, it would be a great deal of trouble to get her to a facility that does that. She has a living will and does not want any treatment at all. Does anyone have any knowledge of how fast the cancer can spread? She was diagnosed a year ago with bladder cancer and now she has a cancerous tumor on her liver the size of a lemon. We are exhausted from worry and wondering if we will do the right thing by bringing her home. Any information would be so greatly appreciated!

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne