T4 Bladder Cancer

6 years 2 months ago #54623 by smikey
Replied by smikey on topic T4 Bladder Cancer
Hi, thanks for th input, not sure what a J pouch is but will look it up would like to keep it simple with low infection did not know I had to use a cather how neive I am. I am a golfer will the J pouch still work?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

6 years 2 months ago #54622 by smikey
Replied by smikey on topic T4 Bladder Cancer
Hi, thanks for th input, not sure what a J pouch is but will look it up would like to keep it simple with low infection did not know I had to use a cather how neive I am. I am a golfer will the J pouch still work?

6 years 2 months ago #54618 by lotech35
Replied by lotech35 on topic T4 Bladder Cancer
Hello!,

My cystecomy was last July. I chose
J pouche. I wanted something that had a guaranteed outcome with low maintenance. A
J pouche is like an internal bag. I flush it out once A day for mucous buildup. I used to use the clock for times to empty now i go by feel. Dull tummy ache. I was going to use the neobladder , but the thought of catheterising my self everyday thru my penis terrified me especially after recieving BCG and Gemcitibene thru catheter for 12 weeks.also for some the neobladder dosent work. J pouche has a simpler learning curve.

Diagnosed Sept 2015 noninvasive
1st turbt Oct 3 2015, 2nd turbt Nov 13 bladder,
Completed 6 BCG initial treatments 01/11/16 02/09/16 No Cancer!
08/09/16 Cyto shows red spots on bladder, TURBT prostate scheduled
09/12/16 Cancer is back Ta prostate ,T1 high grade bladder papillary uthelial.
Cancer has invaded muscle getting RC.

6 years 2 months ago #54611 by sara.anne
Replied by sara.anne on topic T4 Bladder Cancer
Here is a web page that has a very good summary of the three possible diversions:

my.clevelandclinic.org/health/treatments/12546-urinary-reconstruction--diversion

There is also a lot of personal information on this Forum...use the SEARCH function at the top right side of this
page.

You are probably aware that you may select the diversion that you WANT, but once the urological surgeon actually assesses the situation he may find that another option is necessary. However, once the surgery/recovery is over, patients DO adapt to their new reality and do quite well no matter which diversion they have.

One very important factor is the EXPERTISE of the surgeon. You want to be sure that the one you have selected is an expert in bladder cancer diversions and that he/she has done MANY of the type you chose. Some urologists really are only familiar with one type (the simplest is the ileal conduit) and having them "practice" on you is not a good idea!! Also, someone who is not truly familiar with your selected diversion may try to talk you out of it with comments such as "they are not usually successful in my experience"......rather then for reasons specific to your case. Do not be afraid to discuss this with your surgeon...this is the rest of your life that you are discussing!!!

Wishing you all the best

Sara Anne

Diagnosis 2-08 Small papillary TCC; CIS
BCG; BCG maintenance
Vice-President, American Bladder Cancer Society
Forum Moderator

6 years 2 months ago #54610 by smikey
T4 Bladder Cancer was created by smikey
Had tumor removed in Oct. chemo 4 sessions in Dec. robotic bladder surgery schedule in Feb. thinking of the neobladder to replace it. looking for feed back on the surgery and the bladder replacement
The following user(s) said Thank You: lotech35

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne