BCG failure and interferon combo. started.

6 years 6 months ago #54038 by Jack R
Replied by Jack R on topic BCG failure and interferon combo. started.
George9,

I have been waiting a week for the path report on my last biopsy. I had interferon added to BCG 7 months ago, and have crossed everything I own in support of receiving a good report. The first report with Interferon was great; the CIS had returned (yet again) after more plain BCG. At 3 months there was NED.

The logic behind adding Interferon sounds good, and various reports show that it helps somewhere around a third of us who "failed" BCG alone. There are still other options.

Once again, I refer to a recent article by a trusted source. On about the second or third page, when you find the following header, click on "Expand " for a summary of BCG failure and the use of Interferon.

""Box 1: Recommendations for intravesical BCG
• RCTs and practice pattern research demonstrate that BCG immunotherapy in NMIBC reduces recurrences and progression, and affects mortality.
EXPAND""

This is another document which included Dr Donald Lamm as an author.

Continue reading; the background information continues about 3 pages past the first set of graphs. There is a wealth of specific findings that may apply to you. You will likely find the section on "BCG Failure" interesting; it suggests that unless protocol has been followed, the term "failure" is not justified.

www.nature.com/nrurol/journal/v12/n4/full/nrurol.2015.58.html

Hang in there. Give the BCG + Inf (interferon) a chance to work its magic.

Best,
Jack.

6/2015 HG Papillary & CIS
3 Years and 30 BCG/BCG+Inf
Tis CIS comes back.
BC clear as of 5/17 !
RCC found in my one & only kidney 10/17
Begin Chemo; Cisplatin and Gemzar
8/18 begin Chemo# 3
Begin year 4 with cis
2/19 Chemo #4
9/19 NED again :)
1/2020 CIS is back
Tried Keytruda, stopped by side effects
Workin on a new plan for 2021
The following user(s) said Thank You: dtat60

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

6 years 6 months ago #54037 by George9
Has anyone had a failure of BCG treatments and started on the interferon with the BCG? I have had two Turbt's since May. The first one, the doc. just did a wait and see. After 3 months, cystoscopy showed another tumor. He added an infusion of chemo. in the o.r., and scheduled me for 6 wks. of BCG with the interferon. I am so nervous that this isn't going to work either. Can anybody give me some hope? I had my second treatment this morning, not feeling so hot.

Thanks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne