Recently Diagnosed

6 years 7 months ago #53947 by Arleeny1
Replied by Arleeny1 on topic Recently Diagnosed
I do not have BC. But, I have been there when I was told in 98, I had 5 years.
WELL, my friend, I wish I had made a bet on it, and a REALLY big one, for that was how many years ago?
and, I had to treat the NHL (lymphoma) several times, but, I am in remission baby...

I feel whomever, told you that, jumped the gun. All the facts are not there.
EVEN so, do not put stock into what I call foolishness.

Ask anyone here, yours is treatable.
DO not lose hope.
And, let your husband support you in everyway possible.
Mine would make me a " tiny cup of tea" and, that tiny cup of tea meant the world to me.

I am probably right now, as pissed off as your bladder, lol

Keep your chin up!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

6 years 7 months ago #53946 by sara.anne
Replied by sara.anne on topic Recently Diagnosed
Sorry to hear your story. However, take a deep breath and try to relax a bit. First CIS is always considered high grade. However unless it has spread into the other layers of the bladder it is very treatable . I was diagnosed with CIS almost nine years ago and was treated with BCG and have had no reoccurrences and I'm doing great! Unless yours has spread and the biopsy report does not indicate this BCG would be the treatment of choice and you should do fine .

There is a lot of information here on the forum about both CIS and BCG . Just use the search function at the top of the page . In addition if you go to our homepage there are links to all kinds of information and discussion about both these topics .

If your urologist does not seem sure which treatment options are available to you I would strongly suggest that you get a second opinion in a place that treats a lot of bladder cancer. Now is the time to really attack this and get rid of it .

Wishing you all the best

Sara Anne

Diagnosis 2-08 Small papillary TCC; CIS
BCG; BCG maintenance
Vice-President, American Bladder Cancer Society
Forum Moderator
The following user(s) said Thank You: MrsD

6 years 7 months ago #53944 by MrsD
Recently Diagnosed was created by MrsD
First, I want to say how grateful I am to have found this forum. I’ve been reading as much as I can when I can. I am 58, in Houston, Texas and newly diagnosed.

A couple of years ago, I began having short and intermittent “flares” of frequency (not always with results) and pain. These flares only lasted 2-4 hours, once every 2-3 months. I thought I had a fallen bladder and I ignored it. When I wasn’t in a flare, I wasn’t thinking about it. Somewhere along the line they became more frequent and in the fall of last year, I went to see a urologist. Urinalysis/culture clear – no UTI. The doctor started me on Osphena to help thicken the bladder wall and Vesicare for frequency. The Vesicare didn’t help at all and neither did the Myberitriq he prescribed after that. In November 2016 he did a cystoscopy and said that I had a very “angry” bladder. We discussed Interstitial Cystitis. My symptoms fit this to a tee. Since there’s no known cause or cure for IC, there wasn’t a whole lot he could do other than try to treat the symptoms. He started me on Hydroxyzine and told me to continue the Osphena. The flares went back to being intermittent. Flash forward to this past July – I had a major flare that lasted days. Doctor did another cystoscopy – “pissed off” bladder. I was so depressed and fatigued from the constant 24/7 pain - we agreed that it was time for biopsies. I had the biopsies on August 9; he told my husband that although he didn’t see signs of cancer, just an extremely inflamed bladder, we needed to wait for the results.

We went back a week later for the biopsy report, and I just knew something wasn’t right before he even walked into the room. Sure enough, the pathology reported one sample as “urothelial carcinoma in situ, negative for invasion, muscularis propia absent.” The second sample was “suspicious for high grade urothelial carcinoma.” The overall “microscopic description” was “sections show urothelial mucosa with a somewhat nodular appearance covered by urothelium with carcinoma in situ with local pagetoid spread. The underlying chronic inflammation may be responsible for the nodultar/polypod appearance on the cystoscopy. Muscular proparis is absent. Negative for invasion.” The doctor said he was sending the samples down to MD Anderson’s for a second opinion and that after that I would need more in depth biopsies. I am not looking forward to this is I experienced a lot of pain after the first biopsy. Doc had prescribed Urogesic Blue and Uribel – the Uribel helped a lot. I have an appointment on September 8 to hear that second opinion. Three weeks to let my mind wander as well as google every single word in the report. I came across this site, and am very thankful.

So…I don’t really have as much information as I would like, no staging or grading. With only two samples taken, surely there could be more areas of carcinoma and maybe those will show its invasive. I don’t know. I did ask him what treatments were available and he said removal of the bladder or BCG treatments but he would refer me down to MD’s. I learned that high grade means aggressive and when I asked how aggressive he said “2 to 4 years.” My heart broke for my husband who was speechless and stunned. I felt like I wanted to shield him from this unexpected diagnoses, like I had let him down or something. This feeling was and still is to some extent overwhelming. Of course, my husband is extremely supportive, but I’m very much aware that even though I will need support, this is a journey that I kind of have to travel on my own. I’m not sure if that makes sense. Anyway, thanks for letting me ramble. I plan on keeping up with this forum and reading some of the older posts. Lisa

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne