My dad was just diagnosed with bladder cancer

6 years 7 months ago #53912 by sara.anne
Replied by sara.anne on topic My dad was just diagnosed with bladder cancer
So sorry to hear about your dad....I assume that they have scheduled him for a TURB (transurethral resection of the bladder) where the tumors will be removed and sent to a pathologist for an exact diagnosis. This will include whether it is cancer or not, what kind (there are several types of bladder cancer, but the most common is urothelial carcinoma or transitional cell, and how far it has progressed. It will also tell whether it is high grade (rapidly dividing) or low grade. If you go to our Home Page and click on View All under the topic About Bladder Cancer you will find a wealth of information.

The TURB will probably be done as an outpatient under brief general anesthesia. Depending on the extent of the resection, he may or may not have a catheter for a day or so and may very well go home the same day. He may be uncomfortable for a day or so, but should be back to normal pretty soon. It is not usually very extensive surgery.
I have had two of these and by the next day was back to normal...however, I did not need a catheter.

I doubt that your father's leg problems and headaches have anything to do with the bladder. Symptoms of bladder cancer are usually related to the bladder....urgency, feeling like a UTI, for example. Many elderly people do have leg spasms and I would push his primary care physician to find the cause and a remedy.

Your father is very lucky to have you by his side. Please feel free to ask any question that you still have or that come up in the next few weeks.

Sara Anne

Diagnosis 2-08 Small papillary TCC; CIS
BCG; BCG maintenance
Vice-President, American Bladder Cancer Society
Forum Moderator

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

6 years 7 months ago #53911 by momtogirls
My dad was diagnosed with bladder cancer on July 13th 2017. We have just seen the Dr who confirmed tumors on his bladder wall. One tumor is golf ball and one tumor is low lining to the wall. We have scheduled surgery to remove the tumors next Wednesday. I do not know if its cancer tumors or benign tumors, so we are all waiting. My dad is very old school and so I'm trying to get all the information i can about BC, the operation, recovery and stages/ grades so we are prepared and know what to ask during the difficult time. Im purchasing a recliner for my father to sleep in after surgery but im not sure if it's needed? Hes been having terrible headaches and leg spasams that bring him to tears and often find him walking the yard all hours of the night to try to relieve leg cramps. Has anyone experienced this? id this due to the cancer? Should we be checked to see if it's in his bones? This is very new to us. Thank you for all your help

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne