Starting BCG treatments what should I expect.

6 years 8 months ago #53864 by jjadus
Hi Sean T, I started my first BCG treatment today. I have the same issues with urgency and control at times. Fortunately I haven't had those issues for several weeks. I started taking Oxybutynin ER 10mg which is a generic for Ditropan XL. Hopefully this medication is keeping the urgency in check.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

6 years 8 months ago - 6 years 8 months ago #53859 by Sean T
I am heading into my third round of BCG in a week or so. The only issue I have with BCG is I have urgency and little control of urination for a few days and then in a week or so after the last one I'm back to normal.

I've also had blue light. They did it during the same procedure as a TURBT so I was knocked out.

08/16/16 - TURBT - 1 tumor, T1HG, 7.5 cm x 7.5 cm x 1.8 cm, non-invasive papillary.
BCG treatments (15 doses total - last March, 2018). As of latest cysto, As of May 4, 2023 - cancer free!
The following user(s) said Thank You: jjadus

6 years 8 months ago #53858 by jjadus
yellowrosli, thanks, do you have to be anesthetized during the blue light treatment?

6 years 8 months ago #53857 by yellowroseli
Replied by yellowroseli on topic Starting BCG treatments what should I expect.
Hi. Blue light is used during a TURBT. It is a chemical they put it in your bladder. It then makes all the cancer visible. Without blue light the Dr cannot see everything.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cltyxx, jjadus

6 years 8 months ago #53856 by jjadus
I'm not sure if a "Blue Light" procedure is like a cystoscopy or something like a TURBT. Sometimes it's difficult for me to delineate between all of these terms. But true the ultimate goal is remission.

6 years 8 months ago #53855 by cltyxx
You can see from the various posts that the side effects varied as BCG Treatments progress. No matter what, hope the treatment will get us to what we hope for...
I have not heard from my doctor on next step but it normally would be a scope after 1 month or 2.

Take care
The following user(s) said Thank You: jjadus

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne