neo vs bag

6 years 10 months ago #53564 by GKLINE
Replied by GKLINE on topic neo vs bag
Hello Will

I was your age when I was first diagnosed with bc
I had to have my bladder removed and was given the choice of neo or a bag.
The neo was a longer surgery and the Dr's ability was the key to the success of this.
I chose the neo bladder and hoped for a successful outcome. It was succesful.
Now that it has been 9 years, I still feel I made the right decision. I will not say that it has not been without it's
problems (incontinence) but I live a normal and active life with it. I can lift heavy weights now but I wear protection.

I have seen first hand the problems with the neo. Some have had infections, others cant abide by the night time incontinence (seriously.... they considered this a major issue)
The recovery from a neo operation is long and you have to be careful. And your life will change.

But with all this said...
I am happy with my decision and even with my change of life..... I am glad to be here.

George

Light a man a fire and he is warm for an evening.
Light a man ON fire and he's warm forever.

08/08/08...RC neo bladder
09/09/09...New Hip
=
New Man! [/size]

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

6 years 10 months ago - 6 years 10 months ago #53557 by Jack R
Replied by Jack R on topic neo vs bag
Willybob,

While I am not at the remove and replace stage, there is a current thread that is right on topic; the link is below, and you are free to join the thread - to read comments, ask questions or comment.

You can also use the search command at the top of the screen to find older posts that are on point. You can also click on "Index" and scan through the topics in the "Men and Bladder Cancer" and "Invasive Bladder Cancer" looking for helpful comments.

bladdercancersupport.org/forum/5-muscle-invasive-bladder-cancer-questions-and-comments/45571-living-with-a-neobladder-please-share-your-story.html#53399

Best,
Jack

6/2015 HG Papillary & CIS
3 Years and 30 BCG/BCG+Inf
Tis CIS comes back.
BC clear as of 5/17 !
RCC found in my one & only kidney 10/17
Begin Chemo; Cisplatin and Gemzar
8/18 begin Chemo# 3
Begin year 4 with cis
2/19 Chemo #4
9/19 NED again :)
1/2020 CIS is back
Tried Keytruda, stopped by side effects
Workin on a new plan for 2021

6 years 10 months ago #53556 by willybob
Replied by willybob on topic neo vs bag
Thank you.

6 years 10 months ago - 6 years 10 months ago #53555 by Alan
Replied by Alan on topic neo vs bag
WillyBob,

As I haven't had to have a cystectomy I can't answer your question directly but, most of us have bookmarked a very good article that will answer some questions. I do know from my 9 years here almost everyone reports they are happy with whatever diversion they chose. I am also advised most people can do most activities they did before so I am hoping some will chime in.

Here is the link but, I don't think our hyperlink works so copy and paste: my.clevelandclinic.org/health/articles/urinary-reconstruction-and-diversion

DX 5/6/2008 TAG3 papillary tumor .5 CM in size. 2 TURBS followed by 6 instillations of BCG weekly with a second round of 6 after a 6 week wait.

6 years 10 months ago #53554 by willybob
neo vs bag was created by willybob
Hi. Im Will and new to the forum. There may be a thread already started on this topic so please send me that way if so. Im new to the site so I'm still learning. I'm male, 54 yoa, retired and active. I've delt with bladder cancer for 4 years and my first tumor last month told me its time for the old bag to go. I have surgery on Monday, 6-12-17. I have to decide between the Neo and the conduit bag.

I dont want to give up my outside activities. I cut wood, do landscaping, construction and other vigorous industrial outside tasks. I dont swim or do much sports but enjoy the outdoors.

Im looking for information from those of you who have had either proceedure. What are the pros and cons and what do I need to plan for if I choose the Ileal conduit or the Neo. I already cath 3-5 times a day so thats no concern for me but being incontient with the Neo does bother me. Thank you for any input you can offer and God bless you. Will

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne