Not diagnosed, but testing and scared

6 years 9 months ago #53578 by Kris00
Replied by Kris00 on topic Not diagnosed, but testing and scared
Update...
My CT scan didn't show anything on my bladder. It did show kidney stones though. 3mm and 7mm in left and 1.5cm in left. Also, mild hydronephrosis (urine going back in kidney).
I got those results from patient portal and still waiting on my Dr to call to let me know what we do next.
My bladder scope is scheduled for Thursday. I'm hoping all my issues are due to these stones.
Thanks for listening to me and giving advice. I just wanted to update you.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

6 years 9 months ago - 6 years 9 months ago #53494 by Alan
Replied by Alan on topic Not diagnosed, but testing and scared
Kris,

The Ct Scan you are awake and inside a tube for what I remember is10-15 minutes as they take pictures. The cystoscope is where a small tube is inserted through the urethra and they look at all side of the bladder. They probably don't spend any more than 1-2 minutes in there. A numbing gel is also done prior to lubricate and minimize any discomfort. While no fun, it is over quick. For the males from what I understand is a little more uncomfortable as it passes through the prostate. I tell myself it is NOT painful and more like an "uncomfortable" feeling and over in 5 minutes. Usually I will burn a little while urinating for a couple of voids. If this is what it takes to have "peace of mond" for another year, so be it. If they see anything suspicious or needs to be biopsied, another test the Trans Urethral Resection of the Bladder (TURB) would be scheduled. A procedure where you would be under for maybe 15-25 minutes and for most of us a non event.

DX 5/6/2008 TAG3 papillary tumor .5 CM in size. 2 TURBS followed by 6 instillations of BCG weekly with a second round of 6 after a 6 week wait.

6 years 9 months ago #53484 by Kris00
Alan,
It's already finished? That's great and I'm glad to hear you are doing well. Thanks for your support. I'm glad I'm getting the gold standard!! Just wish it would hurry up though I'm really scared about that bladder thing. It sounds painful and embarrassing really. Do they put you to sleep?

6 years 9 months ago #53483 by Kris00
Thank you, Sara Anne. I know you guys aren't Drs and can't diagnose me, but it does help elevate some anxiety because I know you are well versed with bladder cancer information. I keep telling myself there are other things that can cause microscopic blood in your urine, but my mind wonders with fear. I will call them tomorrow to ask about cancellations. I don't think 6-8weeks is reasonable when his office is in a main hospital. Just send me and let's deal with it so the pain can stop for good. It's not a persistent pain but it's there often and somethings (like tonight) it's pretty intense. I should not have taken my Drs word 2 years ago that this is constipation. I regret that.
Thanks again for your words of encouragement and wisdom. I'll post again as I move further. This site really does help you to not feel alone. :)

6 years 9 months ago #53482 by Alan
Replied by Alan on topic Not diagnosed, but testing and scared
Kris,

Glad you will be getting the CT Scan with contrast and the cystoscope. Those 2 are the gold standard and so much better than ultrasound. They will guide you to whatever step is necessary afterward. As Sara Anne said doctors often have cancellations. I would ask to be put on top!

Yes, I had triple bypass 14 days ago and doing well. Thanks for asking.

DX 5/6/2008 TAG3 papillary tumor .5 CM in size. 2 TURBS followed by 6 instillations of BCG weekly with a second round of 6 after a 6 week wait.

6 years 9 months ago #53481 by sara.anne
Replied by sara.anne on topic Not diagnosed, but testing and scared
So sorry that you are going through this. Keep up the pressure on them to schedule your tests; ask to be put on the cancellation list if possible.

And no, bladder cancer usually doesn't cause any pain....except occasionally like a UTI

Sara Anne

Diagnosis 2-08 Small papillary TCC; CIS
BCG; BCG maintenance
Vice-President, American Bladder Cancer Society
Forum Moderator

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne