My husband, diagnosed T1 bladder cancer

7 years 1 month ago #52874 by djb2005
Replied by djb2005 on topic My husband, diagnosed T1 bladder cancer
Thank you jdbark1952 for your validation too. It's so nice and supportive of you to share your knowledge with me in this very scary time for me and my family!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

7 years 1 month ago #52873 by djb2005
Thank you again Sara.Anne, your info is validation and so helpful to me and my family.

7 years 1 month ago #52872 by jdbark1952
Replied by jdbark1952 on topic My husband, diagnosed T1 bladder cancer
Sounds to me like you are headed the right direction, first thing was to get the attention of your urologist and he now has an idea about what needs to be done, I am sure he will send you down the right road for you and your husband. Your urologist will let you know what he can do and will send you to further experts if needed.

I am not an expert, just another recently diagnosed bladder cancer patient.

7 years 1 month ago #52871 by sara.anne
Replied by sara.anne on topic My husband, diagnosed T1 bladder cancer
It does seem that your urologist has things under control! For treatment of non-invasive bladder cancer, the urologist is the primary doc. If it becomes invasive, the urologist handles the surgery part and if chemotherapy is necessary an oncologist is also part of the team.

But we hope you won't need one!!

Sara Anne

Diagnosis 2-08 Small papillary TCC; CIS
BCG; BCG maintenance
Vice-President, American Bladder Cancer Society
Forum Moderator

7 years 1 month ago #52870 by djb2005
Thank you Sara Anne. I really appreciate you verified that I need not worry at this time.

Our discussion with our urologist about the bladder wall not expanding has him perplexed at this time.

We will be getting a second opinion.

My other question is what field is qualified in treatment of bladder cancer...a Urologist or Oncology?

Our Urologist has 5 Star and is spoken of highly and we do trust him. He also acted so fast with my husband's issue.

But I just need to be sure we aren't wasting valuable time.

7 years 1 month ago #52869 by sara.anne
Replied by sara.anne on topic My husband, diagnosed T1 bladder cancer
Sorry that you had to join us! But the "good news" is that your husband's urologist really seems to be on the ball. Good medical practice indicates that in cases such as your husband's, where muscle was not identified in the biopsy samples, a second TURB should be done. Unfortunately, not all urologists have received the memo!! The first time the urologist is sort of going in blind...he knows about where the problem areas are, but can miss some. The second time he has a much better idea of exactly where samples need to be taken an how much he needs to take. After the pathologist gives his report on this second set of samples, the urologist and your husband will have a much better idea of what the situation is.

Since it appears to be high grade, if it has not spread into the muscle, the most likely result will be a series of BCG treatments. They are very effective for high grade bladder cancer!

As for your questions about the condition of the bladder wall, these are best aimed at the urologist. He can explain causes and effects and give you a good idea of what this means.

As you said, "breathe." Many of us have battled this disease successfully and you and your husband can also.

Sara Anne

Diagnosis 2-08 Small papillary TCC; CIS
BCG; BCG maintenance
Vice-President, American Bladder Cancer Society
Forum Moderator

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne