Small cell bladder cancer

7 years 1 month ago #52860 by Onevista1
Replied by Onevista1 on topic Small cell bladder cancer
Appreciate you well wishes. As it turns out, I am in a very small category of bladder cancer patients with Small Cell Carcinoma who have been able to keep their bladder. That number would be so small that there is no precedence for treatments. Radiation and chemo is where the dr's are heading after a tumor board meeting a couple of days ago.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

7 years 1 month ago #52856 by Sean T
Replied by Sean T on topic Small cell bladder cancer
I know you are looking for people who have had a similar diagnosis as you (I haven't) but I wanted you to know I read your post. Good luck.

08/16/16 - TURBT - 1 tumor, T1HG, 7.5 cm x 7.5 cm x 1.8 cm, non-invasive papillary.
BCG treatments (15 doses total - last March, 2018). As of latest cysto, As of May 4, 2023 - cancer free!

7 years 2 months ago #52748 by Onevista1
Replied by Onevista1 on topic Small cell bladder cancer
Appreciate the quick response by Sara Anne. I am wondering if any other males have been diagnosed with Small Cell Bladder Cancer? From what I am reading in this forum, I was fortunate to be able to have the cancer removed rather than losing my bladder completely. The unfortunate side of that is that most of the time cells escape and show up elsewhere. I said previously, start chemo tomorrow. The doctors are having a conference in a couple weeks to discuss my particular type of cancer and what they feel is the next step (additional chemo cycles and or radiation).

7 years 2 months ago #52747 by sara.anne
Replied by sara.anne on topic Small cell bladder cancer
So sorry to hear about your diagnosis. It sounds as if your doctors are on top of it.
Here is a recent thread on this Forum about small cell

bladdercancersupport.org/bladder-cancer-forum/10-women-and-bladder-cancer/45351-small-cell.html#52642

Wishing you all the best

Sara Anne

Diagnosis 2-08 Small papillary TCC; CIS
BCG; BCG maintenance
Vice-President, American Bladder Cancer Society
Forum Moderator
The following user(s) said Thank You: Onevista1

7 years 2 months ago #52746 by Onevista1
Small cell bladder cancer was created by Onevista1
I am told that only 1% of bladder cancers are Small Cell. That the recurrence rate after tumor removal is 80%. Being newly diagnosed, I'm wondering if anyone else on this forum has been diagnosed with small cell carcinoma of the bladder?

The DRs at UTSW in Dallas were able to remove the diverticulum where the tumor had formed (looked like a bulge protruding from my bladder) and reroute my kidney back into the bladder. Now they are starting chemo and radiation. Has anyone gone through this previously? I'm fairly young (61 tomorrow) and the doctors are all putting their heads together on treatments due to the rareness of this type of bladder cancer.

All I hear is that if the cells have spread, no treatment will eventually help. I am Waiting on results of PET Scan and MRI to find out if it has already spread.

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne