intense pain after Turbt surgery

7 years 3 months ago #52412 by sara.anne
Replied by sara.anne on topic intense pain after Turbt surgery
Good news that the path report stated that muscle tissue was present in the biopsy samples and no penetration was noted. I missed that in your post.

The standard protocol for non-muscle invasive bladder cancer which is low grade is for cystocopy every three months for two years, then every six months until five years have passed, and then every year forever.
Of course, a recurrence restarts the clock!!!

Sara Anne

Diagnosis 2-08 Small papillary TCC; CIS
BCG; BCG maintenance
Vice-President, American Bladder Cancer Society
Forum Moderator

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

7 years 3 months ago #52408 by George 50
Replied by George 50 on topic intense pain after Turbt surgery
Thanks for your time and quick reply.
The 2 tumor were completely removed according to my doctor and there are no evidence of muscle invasion according to path report.
I will have another cystoscopy by end of January ( 3 months from surgery) , I have to do this every 3 months to check for any tumor.
My doctor ordered urine culture for both uti and those came back with bacteria growth . It's been 4 days since my last antibiotics.

thanks for helping me.

7 years 3 months ago #52405 by sara.anne
Replied by sara.anne on topic intense pain after Turbt surgery
Welcome to our Forum...I know you would rather not be here!!

Please remember that we are not doctors, and any advice we give may be worth what you pay for it. But I will jump in anyway.

Others have reported pain quite a while after a TURB, but it is not the usual thing. By now I would think that your urologist would be trying to help you find out what is causing it. Have the UTI's been confirmed by culturing the infective bacteria? That would be important to confirm that it is indeed an infection, and to be sure that the antibiotic is appropriate for it.

I am a little curious about the part of your path report:

"Benign urothelium with chronic nonspecific cystitis"

I had a similar comment on my first path report. My urologist said that we needed to go back and look at that so he scheduled a second TURB, where he paid special attention to those areas that just looked "irritated." The second path report resulted in a diagnosis of CIS, which is high grade and required immediate treatment! It is considered the best standard of care to do a second TURB if there is any question at all about the results of the first, and a second TURB increases the accuracy of the diagnosis significantly. The first time, the urologist "think" he/she knows where to take biopsy samples, but during a second he has a much better idea of where special attention should be given.

Are you being seen at a place that diagnoses and treats a lot of bladder cancer cases? Many urologists do not see a lot of it and their expertise tends to run toward prostate issues. Another reason to be sure you are with a urologist who specializes in bladder cancer is the mention of lamina propria invasion. Was there any note that muscle tissue was included in the biopsy? This means that the cancer has spread just below the surface of the bladder lining and you want to be SURE that it has not gone any deeper. Has your urologist outlined a treatment plan?

You need to do two things: Yes, the pain may well be "bladder spasms" but your doctor should be determining WHY this far out and giving you help other than just narcotic pain killers. Second, you need to find out exactly what the situation is in your bladder....is there any involvement of the muscle?

If you do not get good answers to your questions, this might be a good time to investigate a second opinion at a major bladder cancer center.
You want to be sure that your diagnosis and treatment plan are at the highest level of medical practice. You will be with your treatment team forever, so be sure that these are the ones you want for your "best friends."

Interestingly, "Raya" just posted a somewhat similar problem just before yours in the Forum

bladdercancersupport.org/forum/3-newly-diagnosed/45335-just-diagnosed

You may wish to read this one!!

Wishing you all the best

Sara Anne

Diagnosis 2-08 Small papillary TCC; CIS
BCG; BCG maintenance
Vice-President, American Bladder Cancer Society
Forum Moderator

7 years 3 months ago #52404 by George 50
intense pain after Turbt surgery was created by George 50
Hi Everybody,
I'm 65 years old and new here, I have bladder cancer, my turbt surgery was 6 weeks ago and path report : 1 low grade papillary urothelial carcinoma with lamina propria invasion ( T 1) and also 1 Benign urothelium with chronic nonspecific cyctitis.
since then I've had 2 uti infection and It's been 4 days since my last antibiotics. I have really bad pain about 45 minute every time i have to pee, I'm having this pain since 3rd day of surgery that catheter was removed.I've been taking hydro codeine 7.5 mg and ApAp 300-30 ( these are not helping) and also I'm taking Tamsulosin for my BPH for Prostate.
My doctor said this pain is bladder spasm and my question is it normal to have this much pain after Turbt? how long will it take to get back to normal?
Thank you for reading this.

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne