Bladder tumor

7 years 6 months ago #52139 by Flamenco.
Replied by Flamenco. on topic Bladder tumor
Just to quickly add my advice for post op - From past experience I have found the fastest way to reduce pain and after effects of TURB or inter bladder treatments is to drink lots of water- after each visit to the bathroom, drink a cupful at least, obviously that makes for a lot of trips to the bathroom, but dilute urine is much less irritating than concentrated,and the constant flow helps to prevent clots from forming.
The following user(s) said Thank You: dtat60

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

7 years 6 months ago #52136 by Jack R
Replied by Jack R on topic Bladder tumor
David,

Welcome back. Quick answers:
- It is Arterial bleeding (you do not have a large amount of bleed)
- Some docs do mitomycin, some don't. Can turn urine greenish blue
- The catheter would have been left in place if you had much bleeding - blood hurts as it passes, the catheter is to reduce pain (the catheter is unwelcomed by me
- Burning, cant go but feel the urge and small clots are normal, as is cramping and bladder aches and pains. You will get used to it.
- *IF* you respond to tylenol #3, yes it will help. All depends on what painmed works for you. I use something stronger, and always have "the drug discussion" because of it.
-There is more to the AZO direction than you quoted. You know why you are using it, and you have your doctor's blessing to use it. Use in only as long as it works, you may not even need it after a couple of days. I was not told to discontinue it, and have gone 4 or 5 days (this is not medical advice) but that is what I do with tyhre doc knowing it.

Take the tylenol #3 and the azo, Azo turns urine pumpkin orange; very seasonal. You need to start drinking LOTS of liquid (I do 4 liters a day)to flush the bladder, wich means you will urinate a lot. Make it as comfortable as possible.

Expect symptoms to lessen over a couple of days, but frequency and some burning etc will take a while to clear.

Your mileage may vary, everybody is different.

I trust you were warned about calling in for a major bleed or a a true inability to urinate lasting some number of hours. Dont ignore that - call the doc for advice if those happen.

Welcome to the club

Best
Jack

6/2015 HG Papillary & CIS
3 Years and 30 BCG/BCG+Inf
Tis CIS comes back.
BC clear as of 5/17 !
RCC found in my one & only kidney 10/17
Begin Chemo; Cisplatin and Gemzar
8/18 begin Chemo# 3
Begin year 4 with cis
2/19 Chemo #4
9/19 NED again :)
1/2020 CIS is back
Tried Keytruda, stopped by side effects
Workin on a new plan for 2021

7 years 6 months ago #52135 by dtat60
Replied by dtat60 on topic Bladder tumor
Well, I had the TURBT and RPG done today at 12AM and left the Surgical center at around 2:15PM. I saw the Doc before the procedure and asked about the AZO and he said "Yes, good idea" and also asked if I would have a catheter. He said probably so. I didn't talk to him afterwards but he spoke to my wife and said that he removed the tumor and also burned a couple of suspicious spots also. I'm not sure I had the Mitomycin? He said I must be living right because I didn't need the catheter since I wasn't having any articular bleeding. Not sure if the term was "articular" but that is what she thought he said. If I had had the Mitomycin would it have required a cath? Doc also gave me 3 pages of camera photos of my bladder.

After returning home I felt like I need to urinate but couldn't - a lot of burning a a few drops of blood and what looked like a clot. I finally was able to go about an hour later just a bit and this time just burning and blood - not much. But since then really intense cramps or something from my bladder area which lasts about 5 minutes and then goes away completely. Bad enough though that I dread going again but obviously not a choice. Is this normal? I sincerely hope it goes away soon. Wonder if the Tylenol #3 will help with this - if not I don't really need any pain meds at all.

I got the OTC AZO (max strength)which say not to use over 2 days - is that what everyone does or can I continue longer if necessary?

Sorry for such a long winded post but any feedback on the cramps will be greatly appreciated - I know everyone is different just hope all is OK. I am schedule to return on Oct. 19 for hopefully the pathology report, etc. I hope he doesn't go up there again - not ready for that at least for now.

08/16 Blood in Urine;09/16 CT Scan, RPG, Cysto;10/16 TURBT;12/08 BL TURBT;01/17 6X BCG;05/17 NED, 3X BCG, 9/17 NED, 3X BCG,1/18 NED, 3X BCG,7/18 NED, 3X BCG

7 years 6 months ago #52128 by Jack R
Replied by Jack R on topic Bladder tumor
David,

Trust all will go smoothly tomorrow.
Soon you will have a good idea about a course of treatment.

Best
Jack

6/2015 HG Papillary & CIS
3 Years and 30 BCG/BCG+Inf
Tis CIS comes back.
BC clear as of 5/17 !
RCC found in my one & only kidney 10/17
Begin Chemo; Cisplatin and Gemzar
8/18 begin Chemo# 3
Begin year 4 with cis
2/19 Chemo #4
9/19 NED again :)
1/2020 CIS is back
Tried Keytruda, stopped by side effects
Workin on a new plan for 2021

7 years 6 months ago #52124 by DougG
Replied by DougG on topic Bladder tumor
Good idea to ask the doctor tomorrow your question -- can/should I use AZO when I get home? Glad you have it on hand. Best wishes to you tomorrow.

Anita
Forum Moderator
Caregiver

7 years 6 months ago #52121 by dtat60
Replied by dtat60 on topic Bladder tumor
My day of reckoning is tomorrow (TURBT) and from reading through the forum got some AZO for after the procedure. I went by my Urologist's office Tuesday and asked if they would give me the prescription for any meds that I might need so I wouldn't need to try and get afterwords (I live 20+ miles from the nearest pharmacy). He prescribed Cipro and Tylenol #3....can/should I use AZO when I get home?

I feel good but still have a obvious sharp pain under my right rib cage which comes and goes. I started bleeding again pretty heavy yesterday after using the riding mower for about an hour. I'm wondering if the 1 CM kidney stone might actually be causing the bleeding vs the tumor? I hope this doesn't complicate the issue.

BTW - I saw my CT scan report and it described my tumor as a single tumor 2 CM. Is that considered "YUGE"?

08/16 Blood in Urine;09/16 CT Scan, RPG, Cysto;10/16 TURBT;12/08 BL TURBT;01/17 6X BCG;05/17 NED, 3X BCG, 9/17 NED, 3X BCG,1/18 NED, 3X BCG,7/18 NED, 3X BCG

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne