Confused about path report

7 years 5 months ago #52209 by Jack R
Replied by Jack R on topic Confused about path report
MB,

Different Docs, different recommendations. The only reason I ever get a second (or third) opinion is that I am shopping to find a treatment plan that I like. (Only half joking)

The BCG recommendation seems to fall in line with what many of us here would expect, based on our experiences. You got the obvious part out with the TURBT, and now it is time to address what may still remain before it becomes obvious.

As to being cathed, which I find to not be a big deal, but there is a range of opinon on cathing, bring it up with your Doc. I have had only one rough cath out of (30 ? pick a number), was immediately bleeding, and had BCG cancelled for the day. It not with one of my usual treaters, and there was a difference in procedure.

See what the Doc says about using the lidocaine gel and giving it a full 5 minutes to work before the procedure, ask about other styles/brand or size of catheters. Ask about premed and if that would help.

Unfortunately, the catheter is the way to the problem. Fortunately, the catheter gets to the problem without a surgical opening.

Best
Jack

6/2015 HG Papillary & CIS
3 Years and 30 BCG/BCG+Inf
Tis CIS comes back.
BC clear as of 5/17 !
RCC found in my one & only kidney 10/17
Begin Chemo; Cisplatin and Gemzar
8/18 begin Chemo# 3
Begin year 4 with cis
2/19 Chemo #4
9/19 NED again :)
1/2020 CIS is back
Tried Keytruda, stopped by side effects
Workin on a new plan for 2021

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

7 years 5 months ago #52206 by mbmccauley
Replied by mbmccauley on topic Confused about path report
So I logged into my medical record this morning to see if the attending URO concurred with the resident and discover that he responde that I do need a 6 week BCG regimen before my next cystoscopy. I don't much relish being cathed every week but I do feel better knowing my urologist is on top of this.

8/9/16: 2cm tumor found on CT
8/10/16: cystoscopy
8/18/16: TURBT; HG Non-Invasive
9/29/16: 2nd TURBT clear
Completed first BCG regimen: 1/31/17

7 years 5 months ago - 7 years 5 months ago #52171 by Alan
Replied by Alan on topic Confused about path report
If in fact the first path report showed high grade then I would be strongly asking why no BCG. WHY such a BIG discrepancy? Something is NOT right. BCG has been proven to be VERY important in these kind of diagnosis. This may even be the time for a second opinion at a leading bladder center-a teaching hospital or a leader that has a bladder cancer center, not one that see mostly prostatic cancers.! Most insurances will allow this.

DX 5/6/2008 TAG3 papillary tumor .5 CM in size. 2 TURBS followed by 6 instillations of BCG weekly with a second round of 6 after a 6 week wait.

7 years 5 months ago #52169 by mbmccauley
Saw the urology resident today. The attending urologist still needs to sign off but looks like just repeat cystoscopy in January. No BCG. I'm happy about not having the discmfort of the treatments but I'm a little concerned. The first pathology indcated high grade papillary carcinoma and the second showed benign urothelial mucosa.

Even though they got it all, it was small, <2cm, and superficial, I hope this is the right call considering this was high grade.

7 years 5 months ago #52150 by Alan
Replied by Alan on topic Confused about path report
Sounds pretty good to me. Being the tumor was high grade I suspect BCG will be introduced. This very doable and certainly better than chemo! You'll look back in another 6 months and so that wasn't too bad even if no fun!

DX 5/6/2008 TAG3 papillary tumor .5 CM in size. 2 TURBS followed by 6 instillations of BCG weekly with a second round of 6 after a 6 week wait.
The following user(s) said Thank You: mbmccauley

7 years 5 months ago #52147 by mbmccauley
Second TURBT shows no tumor so I'm hoping this means noninvasive and he got it all on the first one in August. Guess I'll find out Wednesday at my urology appointment what he plan will be

-BENIGN UROTHELIAL MUCOSA WITH CHRONIC INFLAMMATION -NO TUMOR IDENTIFIED

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne