CT urogram

7 years 7 months ago #51961 by dani
Replied by dani on topic CT urogram
Thank you Sara Anne. Nice to hear we are neighbors. I am in Spokane. I have checked out the doctors here in Spokane, but have not found those with a particular interest in BC. Can you share the names you found here in Spokane meeting that criteria. Also, is it possible to have a urologist look at the scan to determine what their diagnosis and treatment might be? I am feeling somewhat hesitant to cancel the appointment at this late date for the TURBT on Tuesday, but I am also skeptical about this being the best approach for my BC.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

7 years 7 months ago #51960 by sara.anne
Replied by sara.anne on topic CT urogram
Well Dani! We are almost neighbors since I am in Portland, OR. I am a bit familiar with Eastern Washington, having driven through there many times.....wheat fields and ?

Of course the very best closest place to you is the University of Washington in Seattle, but I understand that this is a long drive. You might want to consider getting a second opinion there and their advice as to whom you might go nearer to you. There also appears to be a number of well-qualified (on paper, anyway) urologists in Spokane (I sort of did a quick Google search and looked for those in Spokane who had trained in well-known academic sites and who indicated an interest in bladder cancer.) Didn't find anyone who would meet MY criteria in Walla Walla. Tri-Cities seems very thin.

Hope this helps a little.

Sara Anne

Diagnosis 2-08 Small papillary TCC; CIS
BCG; BCG maintenance
Vice-President, American Bladder Cancer Society
Forum Moderator

7 years 7 months ago #51958 by dani
I am in eastern Washington state.

7 years 7 months ago #51957 by sara.anne
Replied by sara.anne on topic CT urogram
If you do not feel comfortable with the doctor, for any reason, you do need to find another, especially since your situation seems complicated. You will want to go to a urologist at an institution that sees a LOT of bladder cancer cases and would have the expertise to know what to do in a complicated case.

This is your decision, and it is a tough one. You want to get this settled as soon as possible, and yet you really want to get the best treatment option available.

If you let us know where you are located, geographically, someone will have a suggestion as to a place you might go.

Sara Anne

Diagnosis 2-08 Small papillary TCC; CIS
BCG; BCG maintenance
Vice-President, American Bladder Cancer Society
Forum Moderator

7 years 7 months ago #51956 by dani
Good morning! I had the CT urogram and the TURBT is scheduled for Tues...4 days away. When the doctor called me about the results of the CT, she mentioned that my left kidney was not draining perfectly and there was a potential that the tumor had gone into the muscle thus the potential of a stent or even removing the bladder (I assume she meant worst case scenario on down the road). I requested that a friend who is a radiologist look at the scan online and he expressed some surprise that the doctor is removing the tumor transurethrally as the tumor appears to be wrapped around the ureter as well as protruding into the lumen of the bladder. In my mind, that seems like a legitimate concern. I guess my question is, should I cancel the surgery on 9/20/16 and get a second opinion? Thanks, in advance, for any suggestions.

7 years 7 months ago #51914 by dani
Thank you sara.anne. Your reply was very informative. This has been so shocking as I have had absolutely no symptoms. The pain I went to the ER for was in my lower right side and subsided while I was awaiting the CT scan. the mass seen on the CT was on the left lateral bladder. I am told I had microscopic hematuria from the urinalysis taken in the ER, but other than that, no symptoms whatsoever. BTW, I am a 71 year old female who had a melanoma several years ago and several basal and squamous cell skin cancers through the years. Thank you again for your very quick response. It is very much appreciated and does ease my anxiety somewhat.

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne