Mayo (Jacksonville, FL) or Emory (Atlanta)

7 years 7 months ago - 7 years 6 months ago #51883 by Win55
Replied by Win55 on topic Mayo (Jacksonville, FL) or Emory (Atlanta)
Thanks for your reply.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

7 years 7 months ago #51874 by sara.anne
Replied by sara.anne on topic Mayo (Jacksonville, FL) or Emory (Atlanta)
Both institutions are excellent and both doctors seem qualified (I am not personally familiar with either of them). Emory is a medical school/teaching hospital which, IMHO, is always a plus. I suspect that the "Mayo Mystique" is more due to the reputation of the parent institution in Minnesota than any particular attributes of the Jacksonville site.

Dr. Mehrdad Alemozaffar has trained at two of the best places for bladder cancer....Boston and USC. If the Emory location is as convenient for you and since you are already familiar with the set up and procedures, and if you feel personally comfortable with Dr. Mehrdad Alemozaffar, there would be no reason to switch. I think you would be in good hands!

However, if you are in any way unhappy with the current situation, this would be the time to switch.

Good luck to you

Sara Anne

Diagnosis 2-08 Small papillary TCC; CIS
BCG; BCG maintenance
Vice-President, American Bladder Cancer Society
Forum Moderator
The following user(s) said Thank You: Win55

7 years 7 months ago - 7 years 6 months ago #51872 by Win55
I was diagnosed with low grade superficial bladder cancer 2 years ago. The initial tumor was very large and was removed at a small hospital in South GA. I immediately moved to Emory once the diagnoses was confirmed to be cancer. 14 months later several small low grade tumors (10) returned and were removed. I was given one full course of BCG without any major complications. 3 small low grade tumors returned on first check up after 1st course of BCG. Since the cancer returned I was scheduled for and just completed my 2nd full course of BCG. The last 4 treatments or round 2 were very very painful with blood clots etc.

I am now considering moving from Emory to Mayo in Jacksonville. I really like the doctors at Emory but I am being told by a lot of my friends (who aren't medical experts) to move to Mayo since this seems to be getting more and more serious. I would be seeing a seasoned doctor in the BC field who previously worked with Duke University. If I stay with Emory I will be switching over to a younger doctor but with a great resume and graduate of UCLA.

Any experience or recommendations for these 2 hospitals would be greatly appreciated. This decision has been a big stress for me and I want to make the best choice for my health. My ultimate goal is to keep my bladder and one day become cancer free.

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne