Doing nothing not an option

7 years 5 months ago #52041 by sara.anne
Replied by sara.anne on topic Doing nothing not an option
Gail, I am a bit confused about your situation. I can tell that you are upset and I don't blame you. Do I understand that you had kidney cancer?
And now they see a tumor in the bladder? And they have scheduled you for a bladder biopsy in two weeks?

Until they do the bladder biopsy (a TURB,,,,transurethral resection of the bladder) they, and you, cannot have any idea of what the problem really is. During the biopsy the urologist will remove any tumor tissue he can find and send it to a pathologist who will determine is it is cancer, and whether it is low grade or high grade and whether or not it has spread beyond the top layers of the bladder. If this has been recommended, you really need to have it done.

A Fish test is a way to check a urine sample to see if there are any abnormal cells present. This test is helpful only when used with other types of diagnostic test. since it is so sensitive that it sometimes gives positive (ie, there are cancer cells present) when there really aren't. Your doctor really needs to discuss with you what your test indicated. It probably showed some abnormal cells, which is why he is scheduling a TURB.

As for symptoms of bladder cancer, they can vary from absolutely nothing, to microscopic blood in the urine, to very visible blood in the urine, or to symptoms which seem to be a urinary tract infection.

I hope that this answers some of your questions. Please feel free to ask ....

Sara Anne

Diagnosis 2-08 Small papillary TCC; CIS
BCG; BCG maintenance
Vice-President, American Bladder Cancer Society
Forum Moderator

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

7 years 5 months ago #52039 by gail123
Replied by gail123 on topic Doing nothing not an option
I have a problem 3 years ago had cancer it is gone kidney the I had 4 hernia surgery's with a DR who made believe he fixed it 4 times. Now different DR put a mesh in and then 1 just went to a new surgeon he had all the tests results it said hernia small and blood in sac went to hospital almost 1 week had surgery 1 weeks ago and you couldn't belie what he found 4 cm mass which he or 1 knew he had the radiologist report.it is benign had to get my copy he hasn't answered any of my calls
2 weeks im appose to o in for a biopsy with my DR bladder I am sore still I refused for anyone to do anything to me and let this surgery heal first what's the systems of bladder cancer? Test wasn't sent out cause 80% clear urine why start up again I had enough I was told after 1 week they didn't send the fish rest out and made me wait but then they said you have to have a biopsy of bladder he said it looked suspicious size of a pee pea and maybe this tumor in me for god knows how long may have caused a lot like my b tests came out 2 cards clear 1 card not clear. The other DR isn't doing anything and I cant tell if its bowls or both wrier he cut me and took the 4 cm out can you believe this I could of died please reply please anyone who knows what fish tests is to determine cancer in cells pea and so what is 89 % clear urine no DR will answer me im disgusted

7 years 5 months ago #52018 by heather79
Replied by heather79 on topic Doing nothing not an option
I had needed a catheter for about a week after my second TURBT due to how much was resected and how deep my uro went for a good biopsy. It wasn't pleasant, but doable. And more important short term! (Though on the plus side, once I got comfortable on the couch, I was able to binge watch the entire Lord of the Rings trilogy in one sitting while out of work!) Good luck.

Heather
Diagnosed 5/25/2016
First cysto and TURBT 5/23/2016
Nephrostomy placement 5/24/2016
Second cysto and TURBT 6/20/2016
Papillary urothelial carcinoma, mostly low grade
No stromal invasion, no metastasis
Original tumor size (by CT): 7.3 cm x 4.8 cm x 4.8 cm
Starting BCG 8/21/2016

Heather
Dx 5/25/2016, First cysto and TURBT 5/23/2016, 2nd cysto and TURBT 6/20/2016, Original tumor size (by CT): 7.3 cm x 4.8 cm x 4.8 cm, BCG 8/31/2016-10/12/2016,
Cysto 11/15/2016: Recurrence :(, TURBT (#3) 12/5/2016, BCG x 3 weeks, off 1 week x 1 year (end Jan 2018)
Cysto 4/5/17: NED!!

7 years 6 months ago - 7 years 6 months ago #51881 by Alan
Replied by Alan on topic Doing nothing not an option
XOX,

While there are no guarantees I would hazard a guess the majority of us left the TURB without a catheter and for sure most didn't need it for more than a day or two. I had mine early in the day (actually had two) and if memory serves me home by 12 or 1 without a catheter. Took the rest of the day off and took the next day easy but worked. The biopsy/pathology report is the important piece. While the TURB isn't fun most have very little problems. As Jack's great summary says, get it done. You'll then be on your way to beating this-and hopefully it will turn out to be nothing!

DX 5/6/2008 TAG3 papillary tumor .5 CM in size. 2 TURBS followed by 6 instillations of BCG weekly with a second round of 6 after a 6 week wait.

7 years 6 months ago #51879 by Jfoutz
Replied by Jfoutz on topic Doing nothing not an option
My procedure to do the biopsy and remove the tumor was done as an out patient. I went in at 6am and was home by 1pm. I had very little discomfort, but stayed home that day. I had it on a Thurday so didn't go back to work until Monday but I probably could have gone back the second day. I'm sure some have a little more down time but that was how mine went. I have since had 6 of the BCG treatments with no problems also.

Just jump right in there and get your biopsy so you know what you're dealing with. This is very treatable when you get checked regularly and find a very good doctor that deals with a lot of bladder cancer. Good luck!

Janice

4/16 hematuria (blood in urine)
5/16 biopsy and tumor removed (turbt)
7/16-8/16 BCG 6 treatments (once a week for 6 weeks)
Cystoscopy scheduled 10/16

Hematuria 4/2016
TURBT 5/2016
BCGx6 7/2016
Reoccurrence & TURBT 2/2017
BCGx6 4/2017
BCGx3 7/2017
TURBT 10/2017
Gemcitabine X6 12/2017
Cytology negative 4/2018
Cytology negative 8/2018
The following user(s) said Thank You: dani

7 years 6 months ago #51869 by sara.anne
Replied by sara.anne on topic Doing nothing not an option
IF you have bladder cancer, and IF it is high grade, your urologist will probably recommend a course of BCG. Bacillus Calmette-Guerin (BCG) is a modified tuberculosis bacterium that is instilled into the bladder to stimulate the immune system to reject the cancer. There is a lot of information about this treatment in this Forum.

However, it is very premature to be concerned about BCG when a. you might not have bladder cancer and b. if you do, it might not be the kind that requires BCG.

We will be keeping good thoughts for you

Sara Anne

Diagnosis 2-08 Small papillary TCC; CIS
BCG; BCG maintenance
Vice-President, American Bladder Cancer Society
Forum Moderator

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne