Please Help me understand! So very scared.

7 years 8 months ago #51759 by sara.anne
Replied by sara.anne on topic Please Help me understand! So very scared.
Whoa.....stop and take a deep breath! It is possible that you do have bladder cancer and it is just as possible that you do NOT. No one can tell yet.

The FISH test and other urine cytology tests are good....but only when combined with other tests. They give occasional "false negative" results but are more notorious for "false positives." So while they are useful, they only indicate that perhaps the doctor needs to investigate further.

I assume that you meant that the urologist wanted to do "cystoscopy" ...and the facility wouldn't OK it? If that is the case, IMHO, that is ridiculous. Even microscopic blood needs investigating, and a lot of us never had ANY urinary blood. Yes, there can be a lot of reasons for it, but it does need investigating.

Probably, in Monday, you will finally get the cystoscopy that is indicated. The urologist will actually look into the bladder to see what is there. The exam is not a big deal...a very small camera goes into the bladder the she looks around...takes about 5-10 minutes. IF she sees something abnormal she will schedule you for a TURB ....where samples are taken for pathology tests and as much of the abnormal tissue as possible is removed. This is done under general anesthesia, as an outpatient, and is not a "big deal" either. Only after the pathology report comes back, sometimes as much as a week later, will you and the urologist know what the complete diagnosis is.

EVEN IF IT IS BLADDER CANCER it is highly treatable if found early. Mine, for example, was discovered over 8 years ago....I had treatment and am now cancer-free.

Please try to relax (easy for me to say) and take this a step at a time. Where are you being treated?

Best of luck to you

Sara Anne

Diagnosis 2-08 Small papillary TCC; CIS
BCG; BCG maintenance
Vice-President, American Bladder Cancer Society
Forum Moderator

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

7 years 8 months ago #51758 by SteveS54
Hello everyone. Sorry this is long winded but i don't know where to turn.
My name is Steve and i need some advice. January 2015 during an annual physical they found blood in my urine. The doctor wanted me to drink more water. The following year January 2016 they found blood in my urine again. I was sent to a urologist. First a ultrasound. All good but urine was backing up into one of my kidneys. I had several more visits where they did a ultrasound to confirm i was evacuating my bladder. Had a PSA test came back good. A cat scan good. My Urologist wanted to have a Cytology done but the facility said that the amount of blood in the urine did not warrant it. So she ordered a Cytology of my urine. This came back inconclusive. A second Cytology test came back inconclusive. I then had a FISH test. Just got a call from the tech. She said my Urologist wants to see me first thing Monday morning. The test results came back Abnormal. Oh my God now what?

I amy have some of the nomenclature wrong but i am stunned. Any advice or comments are so very welcome.

Thanks,
Steve

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne