Just diagnosed

4 years 11 months ago #51276 by Lupenbill
Just diagnosed was created by Lupenbill
Just diagnosed with a 5mm tumor in my bladder . Needless to say I am frightened as is my wife I am a 53-year-old male in healthy other than this. Everything I have heard seems to indicate that everything will be fine. Is there anybody else in the same situation as I am any words of encouragement would help thank you for reading

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

4 years 11 months ago #51277 by LillianG
Replied by LillianG on topic Just diagnosed
Lupenbill, I'm sorry that you are going through this. I was in your shoes about a year ago, so I know exactly how you feel. It's much easier said than done, but try to relax - and remember to breathe.

I'm going to assume that your doctor has scheduled you for a TURBT to remove the growth and send it out for pathology to determine exactly what you are dealing with. Once that's done, you and your doctor(s) can determine the correct treatment plan for you.

Keep us posted on your progress and please feel free to ask questions. There is a wealth of knowledge and support available from the members at this site.

Take care,
LilyG

5/2015 4x2cm HG Ta Papillary TCC; 6 initial BCG followed by 3 sets of BCG maintenance. Ten scopes - all NED. Now at scope 1x year.

4 years 11 months ago #51278 by Lupenbill
Replied by Lupenbill on topic Just diagnosed
Lilyg
Thank you so much for your response I'm sorry to hear that you also are dealing with the same. I hope that all comes out well for you. Yes there is a procedure scheduled on 6-17-2016 and we will have more information after the pathobiology report to get back. It's very difficult to relax and take a breath my wife and I both have trouble just getting through the day without thinking about it all day. All indications are that it was caught very early that does help with the prognosis as I understand. Thank you again for sharing we can use all the encouragement we can get.
Lupenbill

4 years 11 months ago #51280 by sara.anne
Replied by sara.anne on topic Just diagnosed
Lupenbill, welcome to a place you do not want to be! All of us were once where you were....I remember that I just couldn't believe it...I thought "now I know what I am going to die of!"

Well, here I am with no signs of cancer over 8 years out. I had two forms of bladder cancer, papillary (like a little mushroom) and CIS (a high grade type that is sort of like a rash on the bladder lining). Had two TURB's (surgical biopsies), went through immunotherapy with BCG, and IT WORKED!!!

You do have some emotionally and physically difficult days ahead of you, but with your wife's support you will do fine. And 8 years from now you will still be here, offering advice to others. There are a lot of stories on this forum from people like you. You will find that many are doing very well.

Feel free to ask any questions you want. Someone will be able to share their experiences with the same questions.

Wishing you all the best

Sara Anne

Diagnosis 2-08 Small papillary TCC; CIS
BCG; BCG maintenance
Vice-President, American Bladder Cancer Society
Forum Moderator
The following user(s) said Thank You: lea4677, dani

4 years 11 months ago #51281 by Lupenbill
Replied by Lupenbill on topic Just diagnosed
Sara Anne
Thank you for the words of encouragement it lightens my heart to know that there are people like you who have successfully fought this type of disease. I have been told that I am lucky that it was found so early. It's still very frightening and I know it's only a week and a day until the procedure but it seems like forever. My rational self believes that in eight years I will be giving advice to others. But my emotional self is a wreck.part of my biggest fear I still have a 13-year-old son at home I really don't know whether to talk to him about this or not I'm inclined to wait to see what happens with this procedure he is such an easy-going happy guy I really don't want to take that away from him right now and put all this worry on him. I'm sure others have dealt with whether or not to share news like this with your children or other loved ones I guess for now we have decided that this will stay between my wife and I
Lupenbill

4 years 11 months ago #51282 by sara.anne
Replied by sara.anne on topic Just diagnosed
I am a strong advocate of sharing with friends and family, but at your son's age I think I agree with you. However, once you have the biopsy results in and know what you are facing, you will need to share with him. Children are very perceptive and he probably can already tell by the tension surrounding you that something is not quite right. You will need to share when you know what is is you are sharing so that he does not feel left out/neglected. He needs to know that you trust him.

Sara Anne

Diagnosis 2-08 Small papillary TCC; CIS
BCG; BCG maintenance
Vice-President, American Bladder Cancer Society
Forum Moderator
The following user(s) said Thank You: dani

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne