Atypical Urothelial Cells, reactive. Normal?

7 years 11 months ago #51074 by Marymickaela
Replied by Marymickaela on topic Atypical Urothelial Cells, reactive. Normal?
I want to thank everyone for taking the time to respond and give me reassurances and assuring me I’m in good hands with my doctor... After re-reading the Pyelogram report it did say Cytology on it so am assuming they were looking for cancer cells. I think if the FISH test comes back normal I will talk to the doctor about what's the harm in waiting at least 6 months before doing the Cytology test as I need to stop obsessing about this. What freaked me out was the word "Atypical".

Right now I don't want to see or hear from my urologist for a while once the FISH test results come back. I'm just recovering from a fractured elbow and wrist I suffered on Feb. 28th while on vacation. Evidently (according to my husband) I don't pick up my feet and tripped on a curb in Las Vegas and took a horrific fall. I had had a horrible year last year and this year was supposed to be great.

I'll post the FISH results, but then hope to focus on my yard, exercise, quilting, grandkids, and not CANCER My thyroid cancer haunts me to this day. Every year I hear "well, your TSH is a little on the hypo side so (because of the cancer) we need to increase your Synthroid. My H said I've never been the same since having it and that was 1977 at age 26.

I will keep all of you in my thoughts and prayers and just want to thank you again for taking the time to respond. I appreciate it more than I can express (I feel so much better) and if I do have to deal with this horrible disease I will be back here to also lend support.

Mary

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

7 years 11 months ago #51069 by sara.anne
Replied by sara.anne on topic Atypical Urothelial Cells, reactive. Normal?
Mary, the FISH test IS a type of cytology. No point in doing another so soon.

Sara Anne

Diagnosis 2-08 Small papillary TCC; CIS
BCG; BCG maintenance
Vice-President, American Bladder Cancer Society
Forum Moderator

7 years 11 months ago #51068 by Alan
Mary,

I had to chime in and ditto Sara Anne's observations. One other addition besides me having survived bladder cancer. My wife had unknown hematuria about 25 years ago and had a Retrograde Pyelogram among all the other tests. While there were some "atypical" cells found the cause of her hematuria was never discovered. I even know a few other people that have had this condition and no known cause. I know this isn't the answer you are looking for but, I believe your URO has a good and logical plan.

DX 5/6/2008 TAG3 papillary tumor .5 CM in size. 2 TURBS followed by 6 instillations of BCG weekly with a second round of 6 after a 6 week wait.

7 years 11 months ago - 7 years 11 months ago #51067 by Marymickaela
Replied by Marymickaela on topic Atypical Urothelial Cells, reactive. Normal?
Sara Anne,

Thank you so much for your response. It is much appreciated as I feel I'm lost in the dark with no flashlight to guide me. No it's not a Cystoscopy and I copied this from my portal.

Will send urine for FISH today, Voided cytology in 3 months, May repeat CT in 6 months.

This is how she plans to proceed. Also, why would she wait 3 months to do the Cytology test?

If these tests come back positive and there really isn't any cancer what would she do?

Thanks again, Mary

7 years 11 months ago #51066 by sara.anne
Replied by sara.anne on topic Atypical Urothelial Cells, reactive. Normal?
So sorry, Mary, that you now have this to worry about. But, as you are aware, there are many causes of hematuria and only one of them is bladder cancer. A problem with urine cytology, and this includes the FISH test, is that these tests tend to be too sensitive. That is, they often indicate positive results, ie...cancerous cells, when there aren't really any there. Cells can be "smashed" or distorted during the procedures. So these tests are used WITH other things, such as cystoscopy,

I assume that you meant that the test in three months is a cystoscopy? That would be the usual protocol. You have recently had one and there wouldn't be any point in doing another so soon. In another three months it is possible that if there is a problem it might show up by then. Your urologist is absolutely correct in doing this, so you are obviously in good hands.

I posted a link to a timely article on the possible causes of cancer under the Forum heading "Articles of Interest" under the topic of the Latest Issue of CURE. You may find this interesting reading! I am now on my third cancer...breast, bladder, and malignant melanoma...and there is no history of cancer in my family!

Please let us know the results....

Sara Anne

Diagnosis 2-08 Small papillary TCC; CIS
BCG; BCG maintenance
Vice-President, American Bladder Cancer Society
Forum Moderator

7 years 11 months ago #51065 by Marymickaela
Atypical Urothelial Cells, reactive. Normal? was created by Marymickaela
I am new to the site and this is my 1st post. I'm a 65yo woman who had thyroid cancer at age 26, 3 hour surgery to remove the tumor during my 6th mo. of pregnancy. Radioactive iodine 5 years later and 3 body scans over the years. The last in 1996.

My mom died of metastatic kidney cancer at age 63, her mom died of reticulum cell sarcoma at age age 68. I am very familiar with cancer.

I haven't been diagnosed yet, but am going thru testing. Quite by accident hematuria was discovered during a routine urinalysis last Nov. Referred to a urologist and have had 4 Cat Scans and a Cystoscopy. All normal.

April 7th a Retrograde Pyelogram. The results came back Atypical Urothelial Cells, Reactive, for the bladder washing, and Atypical Urothelial Cells, Inconclusive, for the Ureter washing. We met with my urologist yesterday and she said these results aren't concerning and probably due to a reaction to the instruments. Is this true? She said if the report had said "suspicious" she would be concerned.

She said she still considers me to be high risk and is sending my urine for a FISH test and in 3 months I'll have a Cytology test. I still am having the hematuria. Why would she wait 3 months to do the Cytology?

Should I be concerned, esp. with my family history and my own history of cancer.

Glad to have found the site.

Mary

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne