Having my first cystoscopy help!!??

8 years 2 months ago #50496 by grandpaguido
Replied by grandpaguido on topic Having my first cystoscopy help!!??
it can be slightly uncomfortable but it does not hurt!! I have been going through this for 22 years. You'll have some discomfort after a cysto so make sure they give you a ciproflaxin antibiotic and AZO to take. I have also found that CYSTEX plus is very good for relieving the minor discomfort. Basically it is a walk in the park!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

8 years 2 months ago #50479 by Shelbel
Replied by Shelbel on topic Having my first cystoscopy help!!??
She has another thread on here, said it was an ultrasound.

8 years 2 months ago #50464 by jeffrx
Replied by jeffrx on topic Having my first cystoscopy help!!??
How did you find out that you have these polyps? Did you have a CT scan or MRI?

12/2015 - TURBT, non-invasive T1, mixed grade, 3 tumors
1/2016 - Begin BCG weekly for 6 weeks

8 years 2 months ago #50460 by GKLINE
Replied by GKLINE on topic Having my first cystoscopy help!!??
I am assuming that you are male (Charlie?)
The procedure you are having is the simple insertion of a camera into your bladder.
Never fear... it is a small camera(Kodak Brownie sized) they snake it past your prostate(a little tight there) and then you feel..........Nothing!
You will see your bladder in living color on the big screen TV (and so will all the nurses and Dr)
I am hoping they find nothing in there..... But if they do...... You will be put on an action plan to get rid of it.

I have only one piece of advice (serious this time)
You will need to lose all of your modesty at the urologist. Really. think of this as a time to really "sell it" Even if it scares yo to death. If you can relax and laugh at yourself, It will be an easier procedure. A qualified technician will make it slightly uncomfortable, but not painful.

If you can laugh at this post a little............
Then, you will be OK

George

Light a man a fire and he is warm for an evening.
Light a man ON fire and he's warm forever.

08/08/08...RC neo bladder
09/09/09...New Hip
=
New Man! [/size]

8 years 2 months ago #50435 by Rockyiss
Replied by Rockyiss on topic Having my first cystoscopy help!!??
Hi there, I don't know if your a guy or girl but I will tell you from a girls perspective. If it is a cysto it is usually not a big deal. If they use a camera it will project onto a big screen and you get to see on the tv screen what the inside of your bladder looks like. That is kinda cool.

If you have youtube, you can watch the procedure on it and see what happens during the cysto ahead of your cysto. Most times they put a little numbing gel in first so when they put the scope in there is no pain. (for guys I don't know) The last two times my Dr. has not used the numbing gel and I am thinking of going back to him using it. It is a little more uncomfortable without it. But still doable. Good luck and don't be to nervous. rocky

8 years 2 months ago #50429 by sara.anne
Replied by sara.anne on topic Having my first cystoscopy help!!??
Hi again!! I just answered your previous post, and assumed you were having a TURB. However, in this post you indicate that you will be having cystoscopy with no general anesthesia. This is a different procedure....

The urologist will still be placing a very small camera into the bladder so that he can carefully examine it. (No biopsies) Based on his experience and what he sees, he may very well schedule you for a TURB as I described in the other post.

Cystoscopy does not hurt....males find it a bit more uncomfortable than females, due to anatomical differences! For me, it is somewhat like a pelvic exam, and much better than a dental appointment! Lasts about five minutes. Your bladder may feel a little irritated for about an hour after. Those of us with diagnosed bladder cancer are very used to these exams!

Please let us know what the result is!

Sara Anne

Diagnosis 2-08 Small papillary TCC; CIS
BCG; BCG maintenance
Vice-President, American Bladder Cancer Society
Forum Moderator

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne