Introduction

8 years 3 months ago #50360 by jeffrx
Replied by jeffrx on topic Introduction
Hi Rebecca, as others have stated, if the cancer is "high-grade", BCG is usually recommended, as it helps to prevent the tumor from coming back. High grade types of tumors have a recurrence rate that is pretty high (>50%). Using BCG can help to reduce this recurrence rate and, from what I have read, is highly recommended in the case of high-grade papillary tumors. BCG is basically a weakened Tuberculosis (it is the same thing used in tuberculosis vaccines in children) that helps to stimulate the immune system to fight abnormal cell growth in the bladder.

I am in the same boat as you...just had the TURBT and they identified high-grade papillary, so I will start BCG soon. Another opinion would not hurt, right?

Best, Jeff

12/2015 - TURBT, non-invasive T1, mixed grade, 3 tumors
1/2016 - Begin BCG weekly for 6 weeks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

8 years 3 months ago #50358 by LillianG
Replied by LillianG on topic Introduction
I'm in complete agreement with Sara Ann and Alan on this one. Please get a second opinion. May is an awful long time to wait with a high-grade diagnosis, especially with no treatment.

You can have your doctor send your slides to John Hopkins for a second opinion on the pathology. Per your post, the path report showed no muscle in the specimens. In my case, the tumor was deemed high-grade, but there was no muscle in the initial TURB samples. So to help ensure an accurate diagnosis, I had a second TURB to obtain a better specimen, and had the slides from both TURBs sent to John Hopkins to verify the pathology. Once I was fully healed from the second TURB, I started my 6 weekly treatments of BCG.

Please ask your doctor why he/she hasn't scheduled you for a second TURB - and why he/she hasn't scheduled you for BCG treatments.

I wish you the best. Please keep us posted.
LilyG

5/2015 4x2cm HG Ta Papillary TCC; 6 initial BCG followed by 3 sets of BCG maintenance. Ten scopes - all NED. Now at scope 1x year.

8 years 3 months ago #50355 by Alan
Replied by Alan on topic Introduction
Rebecca,

I have to chime in also. May-which will be 4 months is is simply too long wait for a re-check on high grade cancer. While none of us are doctors, a follow TURB is often done on high grade to verify margins were adequate and a CT Scan of the urinary tract is pretty standard also. BCG immunotherapy is also a normal protocol. Does your URO see a lot of bladder cancer? So many deal mostly with prostatic issues or female issues.

Sara Anne said, a second opinion may very well be needed.

DX 5/6/2008 TAG3 papillary tumor .5 CM in size. 2 TURBS followed by 6 instillations of BCG weekly with a second round of 6 after a 6 week wait.

8 years 3 months ago #50354 by sara.anne
Replied by sara.anne on topic Introduction
Well Rebecca, now you know what you are dealing with.

I am surprised that the urologist didn't prescribe BCG ASAP. Did he mention this or did you ask? High grade is not to be fooled with.

Perhaps a second opinion on the possibility of treatment?

Sara Anne

Diagnosis 2-08 Small papillary TCC; CIS
BCG; BCG maintenance
Vice-President, American Bladder Cancer Society
Forum Moderator

8 years 3 months ago #50353 by rkp
Replied by rkp on topic Introduction
I received my pathology report today. High grade papillary urothelial carcinoma. Carcinoma invades the Lamina propria (pt1). 4 x 2 x 0.7. No muscular propria (detrusor muscle) is present for evaluation. I am to return in May for another cystoscopy.

8 years 3 months ago #50307 by rkp
Replied by rkp on topic Introduction
Thank you. You listed a lot of good questions for me.
Rebecca

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne