Urothelial cancer in the left kidney

8 years 1 month ago - 8 years 1 month ago #50818 by Cynthia
Replied by Cynthia on topic Urothelial cancer in the left kidney
Anita, first words of encouragement. Having my kidney removed was not that bad of a surgery pain was not bad and was up and going pretty well in a few weeks. Tell Doug to take it easy and make you wait on him hand and foot...not lol make him get up and and walking as soon as they give you the red light. I think I was in three or four days and not on a lot of pain meds when I got out.
I hear what you say you feel like you are being unfaithful going out with a new Surgeon but send you old one flowers or candy and all will be forgiven. You are right to go with experience so don't feel guilty for doing the right thing.
Both of you take it easy. We will be here and you will be in my heart and mind. Let us know how wonderfully he does as soon as you can.

Cynthia Kinsella
T2 g3 CIS 8/04
Clinical Trial
Chemotherapy & Radiation 10/04-12/04
Chemotherapy 3/05-5/05
BCG 9/05-1-06
RC w/umbilical Indiana pouch 5/06
Left Nephrectomy 1/09
President American Bladder Cancer Society
The following user(s) said Thank You: DougG

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

8 years 1 month ago #50817 by DougG
Replied by DougG on topic Urothelial cancer in the left kidney
Doug's surgery will be Monday at Vanderbilt. His local doctor only does one or two nephroureterectomy surgeries per year, so I really pushed him to go to someone who does more. Doug has been with his urologist for 15 years, so we felt almost like two timers going elsewhere. I think we made the right decision. Doug will be in the hospital 3 -5 days. I'll let you all know how it goes.
Anita

Anita
Forum Moderator
Caregiver
The following user(s) said Thank You: lotech35

8 years 2 months ago #50552 by Knut
Replied by Knut on topic Urothelial cancer in the left kidney
Sorry to hear this, Anita.

But I know several that live with one kidney, including my own father. He had it removed some 13 years ago and is still living normal. He turn 86 later this year.

I hope that it is only scars in the bladder so it can be kept. Should it be otherwise you can also live a good life. Just look at all us bladderless at this forum.

Doug is lucky that have you as a support and caregiver, and you are a good team together.

I cross my fingers for you.

Sincerely,
Knut

Diagnozed first time April 1th 2004.
Muscle invasive, T3A.
Radical Cystectomy June 29th 2004.
Illeal conduit. Bag on my stommack.

8 years 2 months ago #50542 by sara.anne
Replied by sara.anne on topic Urothelial cancer in the left kidney
Well, I know that this wasn't exactly what you wanted to hear. BUT you and Doug, better than anyone else, are strong enough to beat this!!

I will keep thinking good thoughts

Sara Anne

Diagnosis 2-08 Small papillary TCC; CIS
BCG; BCG maintenance
Vice-President, American Bladder Cancer Society
Forum Moderator

8 years 2 months ago #50541 by CatherineH
Replied by CatherineH on topic Urothelial cancer in the left kidney
I'm so sorry, Anita. I hope further tests show the bladder is just temporarily irritated from the treatments. Will be thinking of you and Doug...

Best wishes... Catherine

TURBT 1/21/10 at age 55
Dx: T2aN0M0 Primary Bladder Adenocarcinoma
Partial Cystectomy 2/25/10
Vanderbilt Medical Center
Nashville, TN

8 years 2 months ago #50540 by DougG
Replied by DougG on topic Urothelial cancer in the left kidney
The Gemzar did not get rid of the tumor; it did shrink it a bit. There were also a couple of questionable places in the bladder that the doctor biopsied. We are hoping that those places were irritation from the stent and/or Gemzar. The left kidney will have to be removed along with the ureter. We have an appointment with the doctor next week. The good news is that the right kidney looks great.

Anita
Forum Moderator
Caregiver
The following user(s) said Thank You: lotech35

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne