Keeping a dog after cystectomy

8 years 4 months ago #49832 by Flamenco.
Replied by Flamenco. on topic Keeping a dog after cystectomy
Hi Betsy and welcome. I would definitely go for a dog, but take some advice from the rescue centre or vet as to what dog would best suit you. I would guess a puppy or very young dog would not be suitable, but maybe an older dog would be better suited. If it were me, I would wait until you are recovered from the surgery before bringing the dog home, and that would give you time to find the right one, and start to see how you both get on. Some rescue centres are happy to let you "foster" a dog before committing to adopt, as it is in the dogs best interest that you are suited to each other and that it·s new home is a Forever home.
Diane

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

8 years 4 months ago #49827 by Betsy133
Keeping a dog after cystectomy was created by Betsy133
Greetings,
I am scheduled to have a cystectomy in Dec that will include an ileal conduit diversion (i.e. external bag). I live alone and was planning (before this news) to adopt a small dog to replace my long time companion cat who died. Now I worry about caring for the dog if he/she needs attention at night, as I will be tethered to a large urine apparatus at night. I believe the dog could provide some excellent emotional therapy and would help ensure that I walked each day. Does anyone have thoughts .. pro or con about having a pet dog in these circumstances. Of course, I would look for a dog that is suited for being primarily indoors.
Thank you for presence on the web.
Betsy

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne