Surgery was canceled and rescheduled 6 weeks later

8 years 5 months ago #49838 by Alan
Most EKG's for surgeries are done within 2 weeks of the procedure/surgery so that is completely normal. I have have had 5 minor surgeries (2 TURBS in that mix) and I think 3 EKG's prior. This is probably where the doctors are being ultra cautious but, better safe than sorry as bad things can happen.

Also, as Sara Anne mentioned another 6 weeks probably won't make a big difference.

DX 5/6/2008 TAG3 papillary tumor .5 CM in size. 2 TURBS followed by 6 instillations of BCG weekly with a second round of 6 after a 6 week wait.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

8 years 5 months ago #49828 by sara.anne
I have had surgery where the EKG was done the night before! I don't think this
is unusual, and I doubt that he expected them to find anything ..they usually don't. Just be glad that you have doctors who are cautious about anything that might cause you a problem.

Waiting an extra six weeks for the TURB will not have any effect on your outcome either. Whatever is there has been there for quite a while anyway. It does, however, contribute to your anxiety the longer you wait for a definitive answer.

It does sound as if you are in good hands.

Sara Anne

Diagnosis 2-08 Small papillary TCC; CIS
BCG; BCG maintenance
Vice-President, American Bladder Cancer Society
Forum Moderator

8 years 5 months ago - 8 years 5 months ago #49822 by tonychino
I could use some help from people with more experience than me.

On Oct 6 my urologist found a papillary tumor in my blander. He scheduled TURBT for Oct 30 with the surgical consult on Oct 22. During the consult on Oct 22 he told me that I needed x-rays, blood test and that I needed to get an EKG from my primary care doctor. The EKG was scheduled for Oct 28. The EKG was abnormal so I was referred to a cardiologist and my surgery was canceled and rescheduled for Dec 10. I've already had the first appointment with the cardiologist and after his examination he felt that the first EKG reading was a false positive and he scheduled a heart sonogram for Nov. 5 to confirm that my heart is healthy enough for surgery.

My question is this. Why did my urologist wait until one week to tell me I needed an EKG. Is it normal to only get the test done that close to the surgery when you have time to get it done sooner. Given how often EKG give bad results wouldn't that cause lots surgeries to get canceled?

Thanks for any advice you can give me.

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne