New Here and Have Not Been Diagnosed

8 years 5 months ago #49731 by DougG
Replied by DougG on topic New Here and Have Not Been Diagnosed
Julia -- smart lady for listening to Sara Anne and Catherine! Way to go for calling your urologist back. Hope they are able to schedule you quickly. I am glad your doc is going to do a cystoscopy. Best wishes to you and your sister.
Anita

Anita
Forum Moderator
Caregiver

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

8 years 5 months ago #49730 by CatherineH
Replied by CatherineH on topic New Here and Have Not Been Diagnosed
I'm glad you let the doctor know you were still having issues. And, so sorry to hear about your sister. I hope all goes well with her and that both of you are on the road to recovery quickly.

Please keep us updated on your progress at your next appointment.

Best wishes... Catherine

TURBT 1/21/10 at age 55
Dx: T2aN0M0 Primary Bladder Adenocarcinoma
Partial Cystectomy 2/25/10
Vanderbilt Medical Center
Nashville, TN

8 years 5 months ago #49729 by JuliaGrant
Replied by JuliaGrant on topic New Here and Have Not Been Diagnosed
Thanks for the quick responses. After stopping by CVS on my way home from work and no RX, I did call dr back. He was surprised that I am not feeling any better. They did call in the RX, and he is going to go ahead and get me down for cystology. Said they would call me the first of the week to schedule. I can't do end of next week anyway as my sister is having infection in her liver cut out and I have to take care of her. Thanks again! I will update once I know more.

8 years 5 months ago #49723 by CatherineH
Replied by CatherineH on topic New Here and Have Not Been Diagnosed
Hello Julia... It is hard not to panic when something out of the ordinary is happening with our bodies. Blood in the urine could be nothing more than a very bad UTI infection, on the other hand it could be more serious.

I went to my GYN (at age 55) when I saw just a tinge of pink on the tissue paper after going to the bathroom. She kept me there for about three hours, coming back between other appointments to try different tests. Finally she ordered a vaginal ultrasound to check the uterus, and it clearly showed my bladder tumor. Her assistant promptly got on the phone and sent me to a urologist. I credit her with potentially saving my life since I had a highly invasive rare type of tumor which was caught fairly early thanks to her persistence.

I'm not saying your situation is like mine, but the possibility of some type of bc is there. Since you have already seen a urologist, I suggest that you call his office and report that your symptoms are still painful and you are still seeing blood. Ask that he schedule a cystoscopy (looking into the bladder with a camera). It's a quick procedure and possibly only mildly uncomfortable for a few seconds. His attitude that he "might" schedule a procedure is a bit too casual for my taste.

And, as Sara Anne said, IF it is bc, it is very treatable. I think both GYNs and Uro's tend to be too quick to say UTI in younger women. Please let us know how things go and please post any other questions you may think of later.

Best wishes... Catherine

TURBT 1/21/10 at age 55
Dx: T2aN0M0 Primary Bladder Adenocarcinoma
Partial Cystectomy 2/25/10
Vanderbilt Medical Center
Nashville, TN

8 years 5 months ago - 8 years 3 months ago #49722 by sara.anne
Replied by sara.anne on topic New Here and Have Not Been Diagnosed
So sorry to see you here, even if maybe you won't stay!! This sort of situation makes me so angry....WHY DO GYN'S JUST IGNORE URINARY BLOOD IN FEMALES?

First, it may or may not be cancer. Of course there is no way of telling until a TURB (transurethral resection of the bladder) is done. And while you want to get this taken care of ASAP, a couple of weeks won't make any difference. It is possible that the urologist is acting so casual about the whole thing to keep the patient calm.

Is the urologist you are seeing someone who sees a LOT of bladder cancer patients? Many do primarily prostates in males!! Are you in an area where there is a center that does see lots of bladder cancer? On our Home Page is a Treatment Center Finder (or bladdercancersupport.org/bladder-cancer-help/resources/treatment-center-finde) which lists some such places geographically. Or let us know where you are located and others may have suggestions.

The next few weeks, until you have a definite diagnosis, are going to be stressful. Please try to remember that even if it is bladder cancer (and there are many other things it could be), this is very treatable if found early. We won't recommend hitting the panic button yet!!

Please let us know how you are progressing....and know that we will be thinking of you,

Sara Anne

Diagnosis 2-08 Small papillary TCC; CIS
BCG; BCG maintenance
Vice-President, American Bladder Cancer Society
Forum Moderator

8 years 5 months ago #49719 by JuliaGrant
New Here and Have Not Been Diagnosed was created by JuliaGrant
I am 51, no meds other than occasional Excedrin Migraine for migraines and Advil PM if needed. Have had several basal cell and squamous cell skin cancers removed. Also, had hysterectomy 15+ years ago. No high blood pressure, kidney problems, etc. Although I was a former smoker, quit approx. 10+ years ago (smoked for approx. 20+ years - rarely more than 2 packs a week). Approx. a year ago I had a little blood in urine with frequent/painful urination - only symptoms. Lasted 1 evening. Did go to gyn and they took urine sample and said yes, blood in urine, call us if it happens again. 2 months ago, same thing, lasted maybe 24 hrs. Didn't call anyone because we were out of town. Then this past Wed. afternoon started with frequent/painful urination around 3:30pm. Started seeing blood at 5:45pm. By 6pm was passing clots. A couple of these clots were the size of the last digit of my pinky finger. Took one Advil PM and went to bed. Woke up yesterday morning and only a couple of tiny clots but still frequent/painful urination. Saw urologist yesterday and he didn't seem too concerned. Said there was blood and bacteria in my urine and probable UTI. Gave me a shot in the hip and said I should feel better by bedtime, and after culturing sample overnight he would call in RX today. I do not feel any better. Light pink sometimes when I wipe but still frequent/painful urination. He did say that when I go back in 2 weeks for checkup he "might" schedule something to look for bladder tumor. Is it ok to wait? Should I be calling someone else? To my knowledge, no history of bladder cancer but my birth father passed at age 42 from cancer (liver, lung, kidney - no idea where it started though).

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne