New Here and Have Not Been Diagnosed

8 years 3 months ago #50331 by Hudsongrl
Replied by Hudsongrl on topic New Here and Have Not Been Diagnosed
Agree with Sara Anne. Time for second opinion. If it is something more you are losing vsluable time in treating it. Hematuria for this long needs to be further investigated. I don't think your current doc is being proactive enough.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

8 years 3 months ago #50330 by sara.anne
Replied by sara.anne on topic New Here and Have Not Been Diagnosed
Julia, you are a BIG GIRL. Do some research and find a different urologist and GO THERE. This may be nothing but a UTI (but persistent UTI's are not good either) or it could be something worse. Whatever it is you need to know. Your current urologist is not following the usual procedures to check you out.

Is there a medical school within driving distance where you could be checked out? Have you looked at our Treatment Center Finder
bladdercancersupport.org/bladder-cancer-help/resources/treatment-center-finder
Or let us know where you live and someone may have a suggestion.

Just finish with this one way or another. PLEASE?

Sara Anne

Diagnosis 2-08 Small papillary TCC; CIS
BCG; BCG maintenance
Vice-President, American Bladder Cancer Society
Forum Moderator

8 years 3 months ago #50329 by JuliaGrant
Replied by JuliaGrant on topic New Here and Have Not Been Diagnosed
Well, I was thinking about getting a second opinion. The urologist told me that even if they still found atypical cells in the next cytology (sp?) or if I still had blood in my urine months from now that he wouldn't be concerned. I mentioned getting the second opinion to my husband and he thinks I'm making a mountain out of a mole hill.
I'm more disappointed in him than I am the doctor. Don't know why, but that really hurt my feelings. Soooo, I just cancelled all of the upcoming appts. If the doctor is not concerned, why waste the $$ on the tests. If I have gross hematuria again, I'll probably try a different doctor then.
Thanks for all of your caring thoughts!
Take Care!

8 years 3 months ago #50205 by Alan
Replied by Alan on topic New Here and Have Not Been Diagnosed
All this means is the kidneys are being ignored as a possible cause of hematuria. Again, it could be stones, other kidney problems, cancer even nothing as a VERY few people do this. Personally, I would be disappointed with your doc.

DX 5/6/2008 TAG3 papillary tumor .5 CM in size. 2 TURBS followed by 6 instillations of BCG weekly with a second round of 6 after a 6 week wait.

8 years 3 months ago #50202 by JuliaGrant
Replied by JuliaGrant on topic New Here and Have Not Been Diagnosed
The hematuria is basically the only symptom I have. I don't really have any other pain to go with it. I guess that's why my husband thinks I'm worrying too much about it.

8 years 3 months ago #50201 by Hudsongrl
Replied by Hudsongrl on topic New Here and Have Not Been Diagnosed
I would definitely get the second opinion from a uro who sees bladder cancer frequently. The persistent hematuria is concerning.

my husbsnd was diagnosed with bc 3 years ago with hematuria being a major symptom. I am not saying you have bc, but For peace of mind would need thst second opinion. Get to a teaching hospital with top bc uros. Some uros see 20 bc cases a year...others see 300. You want the person who sees 300, not the one who mostly does prostate or vasectomies. Just my 2 cents. Take care:)

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne