BCG and Incontinence

8 years 5 months ago #49504 by OldEngineer
Replied by OldEngineer on topic BCG and Incontinence
Those are excellent questions and he should definitely ask his urologist about that; I start BCG next week and what my urologist told me (because I had very similar questions) is this (but again - it may not apply to your father so he should ask his urologist):

1. Obviously try to urinate only into the toilet or a urinal; and then put two cups of bleach into the toilet for 15 minutes before flushing (and put some in the urinal as well - 1/2 cup suffices).
2. Wear white clothing so that if there is some "seepage" onto the clothing (underwear, whatever), it can be washed with bleach; whoever does the washing needs to use gloves to avoid contamination.

I did not ask about Depends so I don't know what the proper protocol would be for decontaminating them.

Certainly wish your father the best, I hope everything works out for him (and you)!

T1 high grade transcell diagnosed 8/14/2015
TURBT 8/21/2015, removed tumor (17mmX14mmX11mm)
Repeat TURBT performed 9/25/2015
Pathology Report: no residual cancer detected
BCG planned starting in October
The following user(s) said Thank You: echosong

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

8 years 5 months ago #49488 by echosong
BCG and Incontinence was created by echosong
Hello everyone. My father was recently diagnosed with high grade bladder cancer. We were not given a copy of the pathology report, so I don't have all the details. (Will get a copy at the next visit). The pathologist was not able to identify muscle tissue, even though the urologist did give him muscle tissue. So my father will have his BCG treatments and then a second biopsy.

My Dad is having a lot of trouble with incontinence. The doctor gave him medication to help with the spasms. But my father feels he will never be without Depends again. Anyway, he has some questions about BCG and 'clean-up.'

If he is incontinent and urinates in the diaper after his BCG treatment. Does he have to shower? Sponge off? What about washing his clothes?

Thanks in advance for the help.

echosong

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne