Just Received the basic news

8 years 5 months ago #49874 by pemquid
Replied by pemquid on topic Just Received the basic news
I'm very glad when you update, though sorry the chemo is starting to give you nasty side effects. You're drinking so much fluid it's no wonder you had a bout of incontinence, not to mention that your "lower regions" are probably not in normal shape due to the cancer. Some people our age have incontinence even without cancer or chemo! I'm the same age as you, so reading about what you are going through really hits home to me. Here's hoping your next round of chemo isn't any worse.

Ann

Small TA Grade 1, May-06; recur (2 tiny), same, June-08; TURBTs both times. BCG begun July-08, dosage to 1/3rd May-10, completed treatment December-11. All clear since 2008.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Henriz

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

8 years 5 months ago #49873 by Henriz
Replied by Henriz on topic Just Received the basic news
Thanks, Lily. I will try to find the book.
Henri

8 years 5 months ago #49872 by LillianG
Replied by LillianG on topic Just Received the basic news
Henri, I've been wondering how you were doing, so thanks for the update.

One thing that helped me deal with my diagnosis and keep a positive attitude was a book that was recommended to me. I read the book during the course of my induction BCG treatments, and I highly recommend it. The title is Radical Remission by Kelly A Turner, PhD - Surviving cancer against all odds.

I'm glad that you made it through your first chemo treatment, and I hope that the side affects are starting to subside. Please keep us posted and feel free to vent any time you need to. Think of us as your 'cyber' family.

Take care of you,
LilyG

5/2015 4x2cm HG Ta Papillary TCC; 6 initial BCG followed by 3 sets of BCG maintenance. Ten scopes - all NED. Now at scope 1x year.

8 years 5 months ago #49871 by CatherineH
Replied by CatherineH on topic Just Received the basic news
Hi Henri... so great to see you here today. It's good that your first treatment is now behind you, but I'm sorry you are starting to feel some of the side effects. Hopefully that will subside before your next round, and if you can get it locally, your day will be less stressful without the travel to Houston.

Thanks for sharing your guided imagery experience. During these times, whatever can make us feel better, or distract our negative thoughts for even a little while, is good medicine for the soul.

I do hope you are feeling better over the next days. You have been in my thoughts and we will continue to be your support family as long as you need us. Say hello to hubby and send him my best as well.

Best wishes... Catherine

TURBT 1/21/10 at age 55
Dx: T2aN0M0 Primary Bladder Adenocarcinoma
Partial Cystectomy 2/25/10
Vanderbilt Medical Center
Nashville, TN

8 years 5 months ago #49870 by Henriz
Well, an update. I did have my 8 hours of Chemo last Sunday. It was a long day, but no problems. After we drove back home to Granbury from MDAnderson in Houston. Mon and Tue were not bad. Wed night I started aching. I think every joint and muscle in my body was hurting. I was told to drink lots of water -- up to 1 gallon a day. So, that means up all night making trips to the bathroom. Thursday afternoon...I became totally incontinent. This is so embarrassing. I can't think of anything worse to happen at the moment. Well, I can..but this is embarrassing for me. <smile> At least, I don't get up every 1-1/2 to 2 hours at night, so I have gotten two pretty good nights of rest. I think I have been very fortunate in that I have not had any nausea ... until today. After eating toast this morning, I am feeling rather nauseas. I did take the meds and it seems to be helping. I woke up feeling so good. And then, "blah." I guess that is normal.

I have been searching for a vaginal cancer support group, but have been unable to find one. So, since you have supported me so much, here I am again. Just wanted to vent about this latest.

I do have an appointment with a Medical GYN Oncologist in Ft. Worth on Tuesday who hopefully will administer the 2nd and 3rd rounds of the chemo in Ft. Worth rather than having to travel all the way to Houston. That will be a big help.

I have also started a program of Guided Imagery by Gerald White. He is a dear friend and I have seen, and know, many cancer survivors that have been helped by his guided imagery program. www.cancerwardmaarsjourney.com I feel confident that the GI will help my state of mind and help my body fight this awful disease.

Thank you all for listening. I treasure your being here for m.

Henri
The following user(s) said Thank You: dani

8 years 5 months ago #49816 by Henriz
Thank you so much, Catherine.
It's good to have someone to vent to. Today (first day after Chemo) has been pretty good. I feel normal, in fact. I have spent all day trying to get my prescription filled for the Zofran I need for the nausea. The on-call MDA physician did all in a 1 day prescription that we could pick up last night for today. CVS and Wal-Mart both told me the insurance would not pay for it and it was going to be $400 and $276, respectively, to fill it. Fortunately, I called Costco. They told me they would get the prescription from Wal-Mart and have it ready for me after 1:00 p.m. this afternoon. I got there and it was ready and it cost me $29. Wow. What a rip-off some of these places can be. I know Costco always has the best prices. I don't know if they even do a mark-up on their prescriptions. It's just 30 miles, but I guess it is worth the effort. I'm going to continue to use them.

Okay, that's my vent for the day. Ha Ha

I'm still trying to find an oncologist in the Fort Worth area to administer the 2nd and 3rd treatments of Chemo. No luck yet. But I'll keep working on it. I have a little time for that one.

Thanks from keeping me in the "family". I know I'm going to need all of you.

Henri
The following user(s) said Thank You: CatherineH, dani

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne