Just Received the basic news

8 years 5 months ago #49458 by OldEngineer
Replied by OldEngineer on topic Just Received the basic news
Henri - I too join in the chorus in wishing you well as you go through this period. One thought just to keep in mind: even if it is cancer (the pathology report will give you an unequivocal answer to that), it might be "low grade" (again, the path report will tell you) and if so, that is much easier to deal with. If it is "high grade" (which I and many others have), it is also treatable, just requires a bit more effort. Please keep us apprised; again, wish you well, and praying for you!

T1 high grade transcell diagnosed 8/14/2015
TURBT 8/21/2015, removed tumor (17mmX14mmX11mm)
Repeat TURBT performed 9/25/2015
Pathology Report: no residual cancer detected
BCG planned starting in October

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

8 years 5 months ago #49457 by Alan
Replied by Alan on topic Just Received the basic news
Henri,

I live in New Braunfels and actually know a few families in Granbury. We are fortunate with two nice towns. Sara Anne has given you some good advice that I concur with. MD Anderson has a world reknowned bladder department and I have had 3 or 4 friends use their service and highly recommend them. They are also my backup if my situation should ever change. Keeping posting and someone will have some advice/help!

DX 5/6/2008 TAG3 papillary tumor .5 CM in size. 2 TURBS followed by 6 instillations of BCG weekly with a second round of 6 after a 6 week wait.

8 years 5 months ago #49456 by sara.anne
Replied by sara.anne on topic Just Received the basic news
Hello, Henri! Glad to have you join us, but am so sorry that you are going through this. Between the uncertainty of getting a correct diagnosis and all the new "alphabet soup" terminology, you have every right to be a bit scared.

My first recommendation is to take a deep breath and try to relax a bit. You have time to learn all you can about your condition and what can be done about it.

Second, ESPECIALLY since you are a "Henrietta," is to get yourself to a place that specializes in bladder cancer, not prostate issues. MD Anderson is an excellent choice! Many urologists do not see many bladder tumors and make their living treating prostates. And the place you have been referred to is a real specialty practice...for prostates. As you know, women are made a little differently than men and you want a place that takes this into consideration.

Once you meet with your doctor and get a copy of the pathology report you will at least have a preliminary idea of what the issues may be. It is often considered good medical practice to do a second TURB (transurethral biopsy)
to make sure that the initial diagnosis was correct, and this probably should be done, if necessary, at MD Anderson or where ever else you chose to go for a second opinion.

Let us know what your path report says and what the recommendations might be. We will be thinking of you.

Sara Anne

Diagnosis 2-08 Small papillary TCC; CIS
BCG; BCG maintenance
Vice-President, American Bladder Cancer Society
Forum Moderator

8 years 5 months ago #49455 by Henriz
Just Received the basic news was created by Henriz
Hi everyone. I'm glad I found you. I'm sure I will get a lot of knowledge and support on this site. I am a female, 72 years old, living in Granbury, Texas.

I just had surgery on Wednesday, Sept. 30, for a blocked right kidney and a blockage in the bladder. The doctor told me yesterday that it was not a kidney stone and he put in two stints to open the blockage. He also said that there was a tumor in the bladder. He said the "cancer" was blocking the exit on the bladder. I told him not to say "cancer" yet, that it might be benign. He responded that it could be benign but he'd seen too many not to call it as he saw it. He is supposed to get the pathology report back by next Tuesday and I have an appointment to see him then. He has made an appointment for me to see a doctor at the USMD Prostate Cancer Center in Arlington, TX.

I am scared to death, but from what I've read here I know that I want to go to the best doctor and treatment center possible. I have requested an appointment at M. D. Anderson in Houston and they are to call me back tomorrow sometime to set up the appointment.

I have been reading the posts here and am certainly confused with a lot of the terminology, which I am sure I will learn as I go along. Just wanted to pop in and introduce myself and hope to get support from all of you on this scary journey.

Henri(etta) Russell
The following user(s) said Thank You: dani

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne