My 51 year old husband is diagnosed with CIS. TURBT's were done 03-11-15 and 04-22-15. He is scheduled for his initial BCG on 05-26-15. As of 05-20-15, he has a recurrence of visible blood, possible clots and increased pain on urination. We have a message in with the urologist (bladder cancer specialist at Johns Hopkins).
Could these recent changes impact/postpone the upcoming BCG treatment? Thanks for any feedback.
Of course your urologist will be making the decision on whether or not to go ahead with the scheduled BCG treatments. However, if there is any chance that there is an infection or an open wound or irritation in the bladder it is extremely unlikely that he would administer BCG. He would not want to chance the BCG entering the systemic blood stream.
Diagnosis 2-08 Small papillary TCC; CIS
BCG; BCG maintenance
Vice-President, American Bladder Cancer Society
Thanks, Sara Anne. If a postponement becomes necessary, hopefully it will be brief. While I'm sure he would be glad to stay away longer from another catheter, even a small one, he is anxious to begin the next phase of this journey. Thanks again.
Update as of 05-22-15: Urine culture ordered by Johns Hopkins bladder cancer specialist and collected 05-22-15 at our local urologist's office. Cipro antibiotic ordered as precaution for infection.
If the culture was reported back in a timely manner as negative, my husband could suspend the remaining antibiotics and keep the scheduled 05-26-15 first BCG Tuesday appointment or shift to 05-28-15 Thursday appointments for the series. Otherwise, he should complete the antibiotic course and begin BCG on 06-02-15 (original date for BCG 2nd of 6 instillations).
Due to a slight misunderstanding over the phone with the local urologist's about the timely availability of the urine culture result, the initial BCG series will be pushed back a week to begin 06-02-15 after finishing the antibiotic course. The misunderstanding was staff indicated the result would be available the same day and was referring to a dip(?) test. Cultures are sent out and take about a week for results per the local urologist's office.
We will do some homework on options for quicker local testing results if something similar develops in the future.
My husband is anxious for the first BCG treatment to happen but accepts the need to rule out possible infection at this time.