Mom's recent diagnosis

9 years 1 week ago #48639 by Jay
Replied by Jay on topic Mom's recent diagnosis
Sara Anne: As much as we don't like to see anyone new join this forum, reading your replies to exactly what I am going through right now is so comforting. Miropa, this forum is the best place for some peace of mind, you'll learn plenty here. Your mom is going through the same thing I've been going through since last year. It's tough keeping positive and I'm super at worrying, but I can say it's actually getting better. I've had a few days in the last week that I felt normal and I know there will be more days like that ahead. Hoping the best for all!!! Jay
The following user(s) said Thank You: Miropa

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

9 years 1 week ago #48636 by Miropa
Replied by Miropa on topic Mom's recent diagnosis
Thank you the reply and the information! Praying things turn out ok. Appreciate a forum like this!

9 years 1 week ago #48635 by sara.anne
Replied by sara.anne on topic Mom's recent diagnosis
So sorry to hear about your mother. The GOOD news is that her urologist is doing everything right! A good urologist does go back in about six weeks to repeat the TURB (biopsy). This way he/she is sure that enough of the tissue in the area where the cancer was found is taken to be sure of the stage/grade.

The stage, in your mom's case 1, indicates whether it has spread or not. The stage 1 says that it is still localized on the surface, and has probably not spread into the muscle. The next biopsy will confirm this. Grade, in this case high, indicates how rapidly the cells are dividing. A high grade tumor is much more likely to spread rather rapidly.

The treatment that your mother's doctor is recommending is "spot-on" for her diagnosis. After the diagnosis is confirmed and refined by a second biopsy, a course of BCG is indicated for high grade bladder cancer. Many of us here on the Forum have had it. For example, I was diagnosed 7 years ago with high grade, went through a complete series of BCG, and have been cancer-free ever since.

Oncologists are not usually involved in bladder cancer treatment unless it has spread or cannot be treated with agents such as BCG.

Your mother is very lucky to have you by her side.

Sara Anne

Diagnosis 2-08 Small papillary TCC; CIS
BCG; BCG maintenance
Vice-President, American Bladder Cancer Society
Forum Moderator
The following user(s) said Thank You: Miropa

9 years 1 week ago #48634 by Miropa
Mom's recent diagnosis was created by Miropa
Hi everyone,

My other was recently diagnosed with bladder cancer. Last week she had surgery to remove the tumor and they treated her with myomyalin. Yesterday we received the pathology results and were told it is a stage 1 cancer but it is considered high level.

This is direct from the report: papillary urothelial carcinoma, high grade, with extensive necrosis and invasion into lamina propria. Muscularis propria is not identified.

The dr said another biopsy in 6 weeks. If cancer is still there then a 6 week course of BCG. Then check again if all clean then every three months to be checked. If not all clear possible chemo, radiation and/or bladder removal. This is what the urologist said. I have appt with oncologist in two weeks for 2nd opinion/ course of treatment.

Can someone shed some light? Questions I should ask the dr? Decifer the pathology results a little? How could a cancer be stage 1 but high grade? I always though stage 1 is good but found out yesterday maybe not so good.

Thank you in advance.

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne