PATH report is CIS

9 years 4 days ago #48558 by MadLove
Replied by MadLove on topic PATH report is CIS
Thanks for the information. It's encouraging to be able to categorize the cancer now.

It was also soothing to make phone contact with the doctor today and discuss directly the pathology results from the first TURBT and plan of action. Their was a brief moment of despair last night when he phoned after hours and I missed the call on the last ring. It was a LONG 24 hours.

The current plan is to follow usual guidance for CIS and we are on track for a second TURB in a few weeks. At this time, and based on current pathology results and CT scans, there is no indication of muscle invasion or mets. More scans may be ordered after the second TURB with a likelihood of BCG/BCG alternative treatment.

It's another baby step up the bladder ladder to a hopeful recovery.

Husband's journey:
01/2015 1st cystoscopy
03&04/2015 TURBTs-CIS
07/2015 Finished BCGx6
08/2015 biopsy-BENIGN!
10/2015 Finished BCGx3
12/2015 Cysto, redness
01/2016 TURBT, Benign
04/2016 Cysto
05/2016 Finished BCGx3
07&11/2016 Cysto's
1/2017 Finished BCGx3
2/2017 Cysto, redness
3/2017 TURBT, Cysto due 9/2017

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

9 years 5 days ago #48546 by Cynthia
Replied by Cynthia on topic PATH report is CIS
Ralphie68, Here is a link to more information on CIS hope this helps.

bladdercancersupport.org/bladder-cancer-help/diagnoses/carcinoma-in-situ-cis-of-the-urinary-bladder

Cynthia Kinsella
T2 g3 CIS 8/04
Clinical Trial
Chemotherapy & Radiation 10/04-12/04
Chemotherapy 3/05-5/05
BCG 9/05-1-06
RC w/umbilical Indiana pouch 5/06
Left Nephrectomy 1/09
President American Bladder Cancer Society

9 years 5 days ago #48541 by ralphie68
Replied by ralphie68 on topic PATH report is CIS
My husband has bladder cancer. He had 2 turpt and 6 BCG treatments. When they did his last cys. they found 10 new small tumors. He is scheduled for another turpt this week then the dr. said 6 more BCG treatments. He feel this will work. First biopsy was t1 g3 2nd was t1 g1. Anyone else run into this problem.

9 years 5 days ago #48540 by sara.anne
Replied by sara.anne on topic PATH report is CIS
Yes, the good news is that there was enough sample in the biopsy to check that it was not muscle-invasive. However, CIS when referring to bladder cancer does not mean quite the same thing as in breast cancer where it is considered really good news.

CIS (carcinoma in situ) in bladder cancer is a type of cancer of the urethelial cells that forms more as a rash over the surface of the bladder than as a discrete tumor. It is considered high grade (meaning that it has the propensity to grow and spread) and requires attention.

Your husband's urologist should recommend BCG treatments....probably a six-week initial course to by followed by maintenance doses for a period of up to two years. The GOOD news is that CIS is highly treatable...I was diagnosed with CIS in 2008, had BCG and BCG maintenance, and have been in remission ever since.

Currently, there is a shortage of BCG and some urologists are having to have patients wait a few months for treatment. I recently posted an article about this which you may find interesting
gucasym.org/alternatives-bcg-immunotherapy-bladder-cancer-treatment-during-drug-shortages

Please let us know what your husband's urologist recommends...and good luck to both of you.

Sara Anne

Diagnosis 2-08 Small papillary TCC; CIS
BCG; BCG maintenance
Vice-President, American Bladder Cancer Society
Forum Moderator

9 years 5 days ago #48539 by MadLove
PATH report is CIS was created by MadLove
The path report from my 51-year old husband's 03-11-15 TURBT was posted today to his electronic medical records. The report lists two biopsy results, one each from the left bladder wall and one from the base. Both are reported as "focal in site urothelial carcinoma (CIS). Muscularis propria is present."

We await contact from the doctor and hopefully will hear something soon to put this in context and frame the treatment plan of action. Based on what I've read in the forum, my interpretation is that the biopsy was deep enough to check for muscle invasion and that CIS means it hasn't spread into other tissues. If that remains the case, I'll consider it good news!

Husband's journey:
01/2015 1st cystoscopy
03&04/2015 TURBTs-CIS
07/2015 Finished BCGx6
08/2015 biopsy-BENIGN!
10/2015 Finished BCGx3
12/2015 Cysto, redness
01/2016 TURBT, Benign
04/2016 Cysto
05/2016 Finished BCGx3
07&11/2016 Cysto's
1/2017 Finished BCGx3
2/2017 Cysto, redness
3/2017 TURBT, Cysto due 9/2017

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne