Newly diagnosed and confused!!

9 years 2 months ago #48112 by sara.anne
Replied by sara.anne on topic Newly diagnosed and confused!!
I can certainly sympathize with your feelings. Most of us here on the Forum have been where you are! We welcome you, even though we know you don't really want to join us!

Let me try to help make some sense of what has happened so far.

First, and most importantly, your urologist seems to be following the most appropriate procedure, which is to do one TURB and, after reviewing the results, a second TURB. It is often difficult for the doctor to see exactly what is going on and take enough, or deep enough samples the first time. The second time, he has a better idea of what might have been missed and can give special attention to that. Not all urologists do this, so the fact that yours did tells you that, so far, he is "right on."

Now as for the pathology results. For bladders they are often presented in the way yours were, rather than with the numbers used in other cancers. So what do your results mean? The first TURB report was for "papillary" tumors...these stick out from the bladder lining into the interior of the bladder like little mushrooms or cauliflower stalks. There did not appear to be any invasion into any lower layers of the bladder. HOWEVER, it was "high grade." This means that there were many dividing cells in the specimin, indicating that the tumor was relatively rapidly dividing and thus has the potential to grow...and move into other places...rather rapidly.

The second TURB did indeed provide additional crucial information....the samples provided this time were "low grade"....NOT rapidly dividing and not as likely to spread. It is not unusual to have both types present. BUT the urologist went deeper into the tissue to get these additional specimins and found that the tumor had grown into the next layer of the bladder, the lamina properia. But NOT, apparently, into the muscle. The fact that it had not gone into the muscle is good news.

Now to interpret all of this. The fact that it is "high grade" indicates that it should be treated and stopped before it can go any further. Which is why the urologist has prescribed a series of BCG infusions. This has been shown to be quite effective against high grade bladder cancer. But as you have found out there is currently a shortage of BCG. From what we hear, more should be available in several weeks. Merck is the only provider and has had trouble with production as well as being overwhelmed since the only other company providing it stopped production last year.

A short delay in starting the treatment will not affect its efficacy. But as soon as your urologist can get it, you should be ready to start the series. There is a LOT of information on BCG on this Forum under the topic "Non-Invasive." Mitomyin A has been used as a BCG alternative, although it is not quite effective and has also been subject to shortages. The usual BCG schedule is for treatment once a week for six weeks. Then, about three months later, many patients start maintenance treatments, where you have additional treatments ...for three weeks...every three months until two years have passed. This has been shown to increase the effectiveness.

I could tell you that you shouldn't worry, but that wouldn't be very realistic! Just know that you seem to be in good medical hands and you have a diagnosis that can be very treatable!

Sorry to be so wordy, and I hope I haven't overdone the explanations. Please ask any questions that you might still have...and I know you will have many.

Best of luck to you

Sara Anne

Diagnosis 2-08 Small papillary TCC; CIS
BCG; BCG maintenance
Vice-President, American Bladder Cancer Society
Forum Moderator

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

9 years 2 months ago #48111 by anicra
Newly diagnosed and confused!! was created by anicra
Hi, I am a 64 year old woman. At the beginning of December I was diagnosed with Bladder Cancer. To say this rocked my world would be very accurate. A week or so later, I went in for a TURBT. The doctor did not give me a traditional type staging - here is what was said, "Papillary urothelial carcinoma, high grade with no definite evidence of invasion.”
He said I needed to have a second TURBT followed by 6 weeks of BCG.

A few days ago, I had another TURBT. I was able to access the results and it says, "Low-grade papillary urothelial carcinoma with lamina propria invasion.” Again no typical staging.

I saw the urologist yesterday and all he told me was that he was happy with what he saw with the second TURBT and not to worry. I asked him twice if there was any new growth and he said no.

He then told me I would do 6 weeks of BCG and then I should be good. I told him I needed come come in on Wednesdays for the treatments and he said that’s fine. He and I made up a schedule. So now I go up to the front office to finish up the paperwork and I am informed that the BCG is on backorder. I can’t believe this doctor did not know!! I wonder if he just didn’t want to deal with bad news about the BCG.

Here are my questions:
Can anyone put the diagnosis into plain English for me?
What is your best guess as to what the staging is?
Is the second diagnosis worst than the first?
How can the grade go from high to low?
What is your best guess as to what the staging is?
This has me very worried.
How long can I go without this next step in my treatment?
What are my other options?
Am I worrying too much?

Thanks so much in advance for any help anyone can give me. This is all very unsettling, to say the least!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne