How important is fast removal vs. good doc?

9 years 5 months ago #47466 by ginny
Hi all -
Thanks for your comments. I think I went into a bit of panic mode: must have it out now!

I am feeling calmer and more grounded, as I understand a bit more. I am so glad I found this site!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

9 years 5 months ago #47465 by sara.anne
Replied by sara.anne on topic How important is fast removal vs. good doc?
Ginny, first to try to answer the question that is most bothering you. That tumor has probably been there for a long time. Another month will not make a difference now. Six months? Yes. One month? No.

Also, IF the diagnosis does turn out to be bladder cancer, your urologist will become your "best friend." You will be seeing him/her every three months for at least two years and then frequently after that. You need some one in whom you have confidence and whom you trust.

Be sure you are seeing someone who has treated LOTs of bladder cancer...some urologist do so many prostates that they really do not know that much about bladder cancer.

Best of luck to you and feel free to ask any questions that come up...No doubt someone here on the Forum has been there and has an answer.

Sara Anne

Diagnosis 2-08 Small papillary TCC; CIS
BCG; BCG maintenance
Vice-President, American Bladder Cancer Society
Forum Moderator

9 years 5 months ago #47464 by GKLINE
Replied by GKLINE on topic How important is fast removal vs. good doc?
Ginny
Creepy Doc..... He could be the greatest Dr in the world, but I'd move on. If this was your first visit and he pronounced "cancer" without pathology results...... He is not only creepy.... but wrong.
Go to the highly recommended Doc that has plenty of experience with bladder cancer. If you do have cancer, and it is low grade, you will have much better experience with a great Dr than with a speedy, no personality, "Lets get to the next patient" and see how many we can get through guy.

So much of getting through cancer is your mental attitude, you deserve a Doc you like and have faith in.

George

Light a man a fire and he is warm for an evening.
Light a man ON fire and he's warm forever.

08/08/08...RC neo bladder
09/09/09...New Hip
=
New Man! [/size]

9 years 5 months ago #47463 by CatherineH
Replied by CatherineH on topic How important is fast removal vs. good doc?
Hello Ginny... Welcome and I am so glad you have found our forum. I know you are still reeling from that visit, but I want you to know right away that bladder cancer is very treatable, especially in the early stages.

I think you may have answered your own question already. If the uro you saw gave you the creeps, he is not the doctor for you.

Did he diagnose you just from a cystoscopy (looking in your bladder), or did he actually do biopsies or remove a tumor? If he only was looking inside your bladder, there is NO way he could determine that it was low-grade or otherwise.

Given his abrupt manner and not taking time to explain anything else to you, I strongly suggest you see the other (or even a third) urologist. When you have bladder cancer, even low-grade, you will have a life-long relationship with your uro so it needs to be a good match.

I know January seems a long way off, but perhaps you can ask to be placed on their cancellation list should something open up sooner. At any rate, I would not trust this unfeeling uro with my future health. I am anxious to see what others here think.

Best wishes... Catherine

TURBT 1/21/10 at age 55
Dx: T2aN0M0 Primary Bladder Adenocarcinoma
Partial Cystectomy 2/25/10
Vanderbilt Medical Center
Nashville, TN

9 years 5 months ago #47462 by ginny
Hi
I'm new to the forum and new to posting in general and new to bladder cancer land. I appreciate all of you who are posting.

The urologist I went to gave me the diagnosis -"yes its cancer- low grade" with my legs in the air and told me to schedule with his scheduler the next procedure and off he went. I was quite stunned to say the least, and not too fast on my feet (since I wasn't ON my feet!)

I received a recommendation for another urologist and have made an appt. However how important is time? With creepy doc I could have procedure done Dec 2. With recommended doc it won't be until January?

Any thoughts?

Ginny

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne