complications after turbt

9 years 4 months ago #47513 by jmp
Replied by jmp on topic complications after turbt
Hi all

Wanted to give an update. After cath came out i finished antibiotics for the next five days then had a urine culture done. It came back positive for enterococcus uti. Considering i had a culture done just prior to cath (two weeks after surgery) and this was negative, im assuming the infection is from cath not surgery. I read up on this uti and i guess its pretty nasty. Uro prescribed macrobid for a week, then retest. This probably explains my delayed discomfort after cath was taken out. Has anyone dealt with this type of uti?

Anyway, i hope everyone is doing well.

Jmp

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

9 years 5 months ago #47484 by Alan
Replied by Alan on topic complications after turbt
Fight,

I was told by my URO if the first biopsy shows high grade and/or a
questionable sample he automatically does a second TURB. Just heads up.

DX 5/6/2008 TAG3 papillary tumor .5 CM in size. 2 TURBS followed by 6 instillations of BCG weekly with a second round of 6 after a 6 week wait.

9 years 5 months ago - 9 years 5 months ago #47483 by fighterm
Replied by fighterm on topic complications after turbt
I am a 66 yo female with a somewhat similar situation. 2 yeas ago I had once a blood clot in urine. I had a urine test in a couple of days and no blood or cancer cells were found. So I forgot about it. I was in remission from my lymphoma at that time, but I was having regular ct scan checkups. And they picked up that my lymphoma is back (last year) and something in my bladder. I am at the end of my lymphoma treatment which is going well at this point. Recently I had a cystoscopy that showed a tumor similar size as yours. And the preliminary diagnosis from looking at it is like yours. So I am reading your story and I plan to ask my doctor to take a big scoop because if the sample is not sufficient they will need to go back again. They need to see the good margines. My doc wants to do a smaller scoop and if it's not enough he will need to do that again. I think it's better to endure it once. Anyway, I plan to discuss this with him again.

9 years 5 months ago #47456 by CatherineH
Replied by CatherineH on topic complications after turbt
I know you are still probably shell shocked by the bc diagnosis. Congrats that nothing was found on the other issue, but see it as a stoke of luck that it lead to an early bc diagnosis. The earlier it is found, the better chances of the best possible outcome from treatment.

I hope your pain level steadily decreases in the coming days. We will look forward to hearing your next cysto results!

Best wishes... Catherine

TURBT 1/21/10 at age 55
Dx: T2aN0M0 Primary Bladder Adenocarcinoma
Partial Cystectomy 2/25/10
Vanderbilt Medical Center
Nashville, TN

9 years 5 months ago #47455 by jmp
Replied by jmp on topic complications after turbt
Thank you to all for your comments. I dont know alot about bladder cancer, so i really appreciate all of your feed back. I was originally being tested for digestive problems and/or neuroendocriine tumors which were not found, so you can understand how the issue with my bladder came out of no where.

Thanks again for the insight and i wish you all the best. I will let you know how this turns out at my first cysto.

9 years 5 months ago #47454 by Nicke
Replied by Nicke on topic complications after turbt
I am sorry that you have to be here, but I am glad to tell you that your prognosis is the best you could have got, when it comes to bladder cancer!
I can only second the others. There is no sign of any complication in your story. You did have an open sore in your bladder after the TURB. Where your body keeps your urine. Of course it hurts as hell! My experience is that it takes 4-5 weeks to heal after a TURB. If you get Mitomycin C afterwords, probably a little longer. When the scabs comes of, after 2-3 weeks, you will notice some blood in the urine, and it gets worse for a while before it gets better again.

Niklas

12-12 Diagnosis
13-1 Turb TAG1
13-5 Turb Ta low grade, multiple
13-10 Turb TaG2, multiple
13-11 Mitomycin 8 weeks + 6 month
15-01 Turb

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne