First BCG Treatment

9 years 6 months ago #46928 by sara.anne
Replied by sara.anne on topic First BCG Treatment
Laurel, there is indeed a shortage of BCG. There is quite a discussion of the causes and expected timetable in a Forum thread under the category "non-invasive."

You will want to do the BCG series as soon as it becomes available. I suspect that you doctor didn't want you to panic! :laugh:

Sara Anne

Diagnosis 2-08 Small papillary TCC; CIS
BCG; BCG maintenance
Vice-President, American Bladder Cancer Society
Forum Moderator

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

9 years 6 months ago #46927 by Laurel
Replied by Laurel on topic First BCG Treatment
Hi Everyone:

Well, I had my first BCG treatment yesterday and it went very well. The only side effect I had was I was awakened early this morning with a need to throw up, which I did and I have been very tired all day.

When I went to the infusion center I was informed that I was receiving the last BCG treatment on hand in the hospital and I would not be able to receive the rest of my regiment until late November or early December due to the fact that the manufacture was having difficult keeping up production. The nurses at the infusion center told me to inform my doctor the next day.

I called my doctor this morning as instructed, he did not feel it was a big deal. He informed me that he would just check me in 3 months as planned and that I should just go on as if I did not have cancer because he had removed the cancer and the BCG was just to help my immune system to prevent it from reoccurring.

The doctor scares the crap out of ME that I have to have A SERIES OF 6 BCG treatments because I HAVE such high grade cancer. THEN WHEN THERE ISN'T ANY MEDICATION AVAILABLE, IT'S NOT A BIG DEAL THAT I CAN'T GET IT BECAUSE HE REMOVED ALL MY CANCER AND THIS TREATMENT WAS JUST PRECAUTIONARY.

AAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!

I just had to vent a little. Either I need this medication or I don't there is no in between.

HAS ANYONE ELSE RUN INTO NO BCG AVAILABILITY???????
Laurel

9 years 7 months ago #46795 by carol58
Replied by carol58 on topic First BCG Treatment
Laurel,

Thank you for your kind words. When I first read some of your posts it was almost me to a tee! My doctor was also very concerned as well and has called me. Even though I am scared I felt better knowing that my Dr and his staff are so very caring. I also was instructed to do the very same. Someone from the site also suggested to wear white clothing so that you can just toss them in the washer and bleach them after your 6 hours. Also if you are not already taking meds for spasms or pain talk to your Dr. About having some on hand prior to treatment. My 1st treatment was a breeze compared to the last 2. But I am 3 down now!! Yea!!
Feel fee to ask me any questions you have! Keep reading on the site. There is a lot of helpful information shared here.

I wish you all the best and good luck with you treatments and keep me posted!!

Carol58

9 years 7 months ago #46794 by Laurel
Replied by Laurel on topic First BCG Treatment
Hi Carol58:

Thank you for the welcome. Sounds like you were diagnosis and your treatment has been fairly in track with mine. I am sorry to hear you are having a hard time with the BCG treatments. I hope that they lower the dose and you have better luck.

My first treatment is next Thursday and I am very nervous but I will survive. I have been reading on the internet that I should have bleach for the toilet for the first day and that I should have sanitary wipes to use after each time I urinate. Is this what you were instructed to do?

Have a wonderful weekend and It is nice to meet you as well.

Laurel
The following user(s) said Thank You: carol58

9 years 7 months ago #46788 by carol58
Replied by carol58 on topic First BCG Treatment
Hello Alan,

Thank you I appreciate your kindness.Sorry to hear you have to have surgery. My tumor was approximately 5.08 cm and flat. I also had the mytomycin wash right after removal.

Best wishes on your surgery!

Carol 58

9 years 7 months ago #46786 by motorcity15
Replied by motorcity15 on topic First BCG Treatment
Carole

I am scheduled for surgery on Sept 17th my question to u is what was the size of the tumor u had and I am so sorry you are having a hard time with the bcg.

Thank you

Alan

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne