Just diagnosed with BC and a bit confused

9 years 8 months ago #46612 by PDL05RN
Replied by PDL05RN on topic Just diagnosed with BC and a bit confused
Hello Sara Anne, how are you? I love to read your writing, very thoughtful and kind. I found out that my husband's Dr. Isn't specialized in bladder CA. However, he is the best urologist in town. Thanks again for your help!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

9 years 8 months ago #46611 by sara.anne
Replied by sara.anne on topic Just diagnosed with BC and a bit confused
I thought that your post deserved its own thread, so I moved it!

So sorry that you have to be here. A lot of us can sympathize with you...we have all been where you are. I remember when I was first diagnosed and both my urologist and my primary care doc asked if I didn't think I was depressed. That made me a bit angry....DIDN'T I HAVE A RIGHT TO BE DEPRESSED?

You are started on a "new reality" but you can, and will, become accustomed to it. And you have every right to feel discouraged and depressed....no one expects you to be delighted with the situation.

A few things to remember....Bladder cancer can be treated and controlled, if you keep up with your therapies and exams. Yes, it does have a habit of returning, but if you are vigilant you and your doctor will keep on top of it. Even if it does reach a point where the best thing is bladder removal, you can still have a long and comfortable life...there are many on this Forum who have done this. Another thing to remember is that one of the common side effects of BCG is fatigue. And when you are already a bit down, having your "get up and go" just plain get up and go can really drag you down. Just take things now a day at a time....your job is to get well, get through the BCG, and come out the other side. The fatigue is one sign that the BCG is working. As it reacts with the bladder lining and with your tumors the pain should eventually recede.

Please do not give up on this. Your condition is very treatable and it is well worth the discomfort that comes with the treatments.

Please feel free to share your feelings and ask any questions you wish.

Sara Anne

Diagnosis 2-08 Small papillary TCC; CIS
BCG; BCG maintenance
Vice-President, American Bladder Cancer Society
Forum Moderator

9 years 8 months ago #46610 by PDL05RN
Replied by PDL05RN on topic Just diagnosed with BC and a bit confused
Swestph1, I'm so sorry to hear about your cancer dx. My husband also dx with bladder cancer in May. He started bcg treatment 2 weeks ago. So far, he handled treatment very well with little side effects. He also started taking Zoloft daily! it seems helping him with stress. You may check with your Doctor to see if they can help you with depression. Best wishes to you!

9 years 8 months ago #46609 by swestph1
I was diasgnosed in May 2014. 2 surgerys later and I have just had my second BCG injection. Lots of pain urinating since May. I have aggressive type T-2. I am tired all the time and starting to feel alone and I am not looking forward to anything. Almost decided not to have any more treatment. I guess I am starting to be depressed. My wife is an angel and has supported me all along.I also know this is a never ending issue that will come back at some point and then start all over again. I am still working 40 hours per week. My question is, what can I do to snap out of it and feel better about the future and have something to look forward to?

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne